Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #1

Fitting 305/70/16s...

...on the Aluminess Bumper

Ah the bare bumper, a sight which has occupied my mind the same way the spare has occupied the entire rear area of the van for several weeks now.

Aluminess' solution. This is actually to relocate a 35" tire off the bumper, rather than space out a thicker tire. It hardly mattered as it is cut for a SuperDuty bolt pattern. Not to mention it would mess up my temperature sensor install which was one of my first modifications.

Not to mention I couldn't even get the studs out on my own. You can't really tell, but the vise is visibly bent. The trick it turns out is to hit the bolt tip with an air hammer while the plate is braced and the stud is not. The local Aamco transmission shop was nice enough to sic their mega air hammer on it.

So here is the idea, two steel triangles, welded up.

Just need to fit a 8 on 6.5. That should be easy enough, right?

Turns out there is an aluminum and scrap store near enough that I went to kick around and found some ½" plate. My first holes did NOT match the bolt pattern after all.

After being so careful I couldn't tell if everything would wind up, and while convenient, the aluminum was not cheap enough to blow another set of holes. Eventually I decided using the aluminess carrier as a pattern wasn't the worst thing I could do.

Now we're ready to cut. Say goodbye to 3 new sawzall blades…

Ah-ha! What I meant to say is "using the aluminess as a pattern was a brilliant stroke of genius!"

After the studs I center drilled one, fitted and then drilled the other. This allowed me to bolt them together so there wouldn't be any questions on fitment when welding.

I sure miss my welder, or rather having power to run it. A buddy turned these welds out at work.

Believe it or not I have other plans for that bolt, my original steel design included a center tab for future use.

Just need to counter sink the bolt, nothing a little machining at home can't handle. Then again, lucky this is going to be hidden.

When people say the threads in the bolts aluminess uses eat the hinge, this is what they mean. This is not threaded, the bolt falls through like the rest. A steel sleeve insert would solve this problem.

One of these things is not like the others, one of these is doing it's own thing… It's probably bad that the small one is kind of up, but oh well. Grade 8 should be able to take it.

All mounted and ready to go.

This isn't about "pretty" this is about getting the dang tire back on the dang van so I can drive around without feeling stupid.

Hopefully the studs won't spin after loading.

Did I say grade 8? That's probably a Grade 2 lock nut. Hmm… should really switch that out.

Did I mention this isn't about "pretty"? At one point I'd probably intended to shoot this with Rustoleum.

The tire is touching at the requisite 2 points (according to Aluminess this keeps it from cracking the welds through bouncing)

And the temperature gauge mount is preserved. I was going to brag about the 57º, but the next day it was 78º so I guess it's moot…

Old 03-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #2

Re: Fitting 305/70/16s...

Damn all that just to mount a tire.. crazy. Looks good dude. We were lucky ours fit and didn't cause any problems. The adapter plate was super duty? Geez.

What's with your license plate? LOL SMR doh... what's the story behind that?
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Jage,

Do you like your Toyo 305/70/16s so far?

Which is equivalent almost to a 285/75/16, just wider (I think).

I was going to my first set of Toyo's after being a BFG Diehard.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #4

We love them. Kim commented immediatly how much more stable the van felt. I feel like I can stop better, it handles better, rides better, they're great. Looks friggin awesome too, now I look at my van and go "That's the way it's supposed to look!"

I haven't done anything practical (e.g. offroading, towing) with them yet, but they feel like iron and I have high expectations.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Jage,

Didn't you also go from a D rated tire to an E rated tire? I know when i "upped" the load rating on BFGs, I noticed the same thing.

herb
Old 03-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #6

Yes, D to E, but I also had E range 235/85/16 BFG ATs on my F250 and I thought they were not great. (Actually I thought they were Ds and was suprised when I went to replace them the guy pointed out they were actually E!)
Old 03-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #7

Geezzz, I hate to tell you this... When I wanted to fit 305/70/16s on my Aluminess tire holder I found they didn't fit. I emailed Aluminess and asked if they made an adapter. They replied yes, they do, and sent me one for free...
Old 03-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #8

Jage,
Lets see some photos of the new shoes on the beast!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #9

Unfortunately there aren't "some" because all my photographic talent ( ) has been directed towards the inside. Here's the one I do have, next to my new 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on the F250.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by railbat
Geezzz, I hate to tell you this... When I wanted to fit 305/70/16s on my Aluminess tire holder I found they didn't fit. I emailed Aluminess and asked if they made an adapter. They replied yes, they do, and sent me one for free...
Doh!