Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
ale

Fold forward bench seat for ford e350 passenger bench seat?

Howdy all!

I posted this on the expedition portal forum, but thought I’d copy it here since this forum is more targeted for ford vans.

Basically: I recently acquired a van from forum member 86scotty, and was hoping to use the expertise of the forum!

Does anyone know of either an aftermarket passenger bench seat that folds the back forward, or any ideas on how to modify an OEM bench seat to do so?

I’m ~6ft tall and my desire is to construct a platform in the rear/trunk/cargo area that will allow me to sleep my full length when the middle bench seat is folded forward.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Alex

ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:00 PM   #2

Someone just posted this on facebook (Ford Transit Owners group). Cadillac Escalade rear seat with a custom mount (looks to me like the 3rd row seat, '07+...Tahoe/Yukon would work as well). Folds flat forward and has integrated belts.

Based on my past experience with seats and custom mounts, I'm pretty confident that this would be the path of least resistance for what you're looking to do. The stock van bench seat will absolutely NOT fold flat forward easier than clicking "buy it now" for a Tahoe seat on Ebay....Especially since there are several of them for well under a grand on there right now.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:17 AM   #3
ale

MG,

Thanks for the info!

I really like that those seats come with belts and headrests...

Do you know: would it be a matter of fabricating a new seat base to attachthe Yukon bench to the floor brackets on the van? (Model is a '98 passenger van with the bolt in brackets) Or would I need to take the OEM seat bases off and attach to Yukon bench?

This does look like exactly like what I imagined, thanks!

Alex
Old 12-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #4

I went through the same routine with a chevy express.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...eat-20620.html
Roca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #5

I think those seats are basically the same for the prior model ('01?-'06) Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade... at least they look the same or very similar. That might open up the available options for you. The going rate for those was around $250 locally when I bought a set for my '02 Tahoe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Someone just posted this on facebook (Ford Transit Owners group). Cadillac Escalade rear seat with a custom mount (looks to me like the 3rd row seat, '07+...Tahoe/Yukon would work as well). Folds flat forward and has integrated belts.

Based on my past experience with seats and custom mounts, I'm pretty confident that this would be the path of least resistance for what you're looking to do. The stock van bench seat will absolutely NOT fold flat forward easier than clicking "buy it now" for a Tahoe seat on Ebay....Especially since there are several of them for well under a grand on there right now.
Teutonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #6

Anything come of this thread? I was looking at these seats too, but wanted the kids seat attachment points and it looks like these only come with the one in back? If anyone has other info let me know. Otherwise I suppose you could use the seatbelts for the carseats as needed too.
MotorbikeBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
ale

Hi Bruno,

Sorry I have not updated lately, I've been absolutely slammed over the new year!

Last week I purchased a middle bench seat for a 2007+ yukon off ebay from a seller who pulled them out and never used them. They are to arrive by freight over the weekend.

My plan is to either see if I can mount them on the existing ford bench seat I have, or find some way to fab a mount for them to attach to existing holes in the van.

I will post picks up as soon as I begin work!

-Alex
Old 02-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #8

Fantastic, and no need to apologize. We all have lives other than our forums I'm excited to see what you are able to do, and let me know if those seats have the front anchor points for a car seat if you get a chance please! ) I've been bouncing around on which seats to buy to put my kids in the van. Saw a decent priced Ford Transit seat-set (comes in 2 or 3) but I wanted to see how you get on with yours. I'll be watching my inbox for updates haha.
MotorbikeBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
ale

Seats came in today, and they fit width wise perfectly for my use.

Next steps are experimenting with base mounts!

first I'll try and see if I can mount them onto the Ford seat base. And barring that, I'll find a fabricator willing to help me out.

I haven't really done much with the van since 86Scotty put so much work into it building the mechanical foundation and I simply have been just using it as is.

However, now that I am changing the interior around I will have to start my own thread!

Alex
Old 03-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
ale

Update on progress

So, I found some yukon back seats with the hope of installing them on the ford seat base. Unfortunately, that did not work out and it looks like I need to get a custom mount/bracket built.

I was wondering, does anyone know what kind of fabricator I need to contact in order to safely get threaded pucks into the van floor for the mount bolts? And, build a seat mount?

I am located in Denver, and if there are any recommended shops i'm all ears!

thanks,

Alex