Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlite View Post
Argg, I noticed this the other day when we were wrapping up our last trip. Leaking out of the passenger side of my dynatrack front diff exactly like yours. Need to find a 4x4 shop in Flagstaff. I'll report back when it gets done.

Whats the danger driving this in it's condition? Can I just make sure the diff fluid levels are at proper levels for some short trips, and to the shop?
You'll be ok to drive it to the shop and a short trip or two. It will just continue to leak and get things on the outside dirty.

I just did this job on a customer van. It isn't difficult but there is a special tool for the seal installation and if you don't have it, it's very difficult to get the seals in without messing them up. Make sure the shop doing it knows what they're doing. I found a few other issues as I disassembled the axle and that may have been missed or ignored by someone in a rush or not being very thorough...

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #22

Chris,
That's so weird. My front axle seal started leaking last weekend. My girlfriend noticed a puddle in the driveway. I had mine replaced at Ascot Automotive. (sshh)

Wade
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #23

I'll also add that I've had Ascot service my dynatrac axle including repacking the wheel bearings. They know the deal.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:39 PM   #24

There were a couple of versions of the outer axle seal for the Ford Dana 60 axles. Make sure you get the most up to date version if you replace it, they are supposed to be much better in terms of lasting.

My outer seals look pretty shot, but so far no leaking. (And yes, the diff has fluid.)

I tried to tackle this as an educational DIY last fall, but aborted after having quite a bit of it apart. I ran into a seal on the in side of the knuckle that's separate from the unit bearing that I wasn't prepared to get out or replace. If I can figure out how to deal with that seal, or just resign to pulling the entire knuckle off as well, I may make another go at it.

It's encouraging to hear that this takes professionals real time as well. All the parts, even the little ones, on this job are heavy. My hands and wrists were remarkably sore, and I didn't even finish.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #25

Etbadger put up a pretty nice DIY'r here as well as on his website. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ings-4262.html
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #26

Garage
Had the same problem with my 2004 Dynatrac front axle. Used a shop recommended by Jim McGean the president and founder of Dynatrac. They replaced the seal and told me that there was significant rust in the area of the seal. We had not to long before that made a trip to Baja and did some very limited driving in shallow salt water on the gulf side. I'm guessing that driving in salt water was the culprit in our case. Can't really rinse off the area where the seal is so best not drive in salt water. No problems since the repair.
darryldickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #27

I'll give ascott a call. Frys said ~$700 to do both sides, including labor and parts ... 5.5 hrs? I've been real impressed with Frys (Jason) knowledge and service to date.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #28
Site Team

Garage
I drove mine around for a few weeks. I didn't off road with it and I kept the locker pump off. The shop that screwed up the first install is out of business. I think the owner had planned to retire so the shops staff weren't too motivated.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlite View Post
I'll give ascott a call. Frys said ~$700 to do both sides, including labor and parts ... 5.5 hrs? I've been real impressed with Frys (Jason) knowledge and service to date.

Nothing wrong with Frys... Mark used to work for Ford. I thought they were more diesel centric, though. Go with whom you trust.
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote