Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2014, 10:29 PM   #1

Help- Lights, AC, Shore Power, TV, Surround Sound

I recently recieved a '05 SMB (sprinter) @ 110Kmi for my work as a sales rep in the bicycle industry and have a few questions.

1- None of the interior lights (florescent or focus lights) will turn on.
2- I have plugged into my house/shore power for several hours. At this point the microwave was usable, and the roof AC would turn on.
3- I recently plugged back in and blew the fuse on my house 5 times in a row...and possibly lost power in my neighborhood soon after.
4- I could not get the batteries to charge
5- there is a beep that comes from a panel in the closet of the SMB. NOT A SMOKE OR C02 ALARM.
6- Is it possible to get the outlets (there are @ 4-6) to power up while driving so my son can watch TV or I can use the Surround Sound?
7- The AC (roof) blows neither warm or cool air...just air.

Thanks for the help...I know a lot of ???'s but hey...we're all new at somepoint!

Thanks!

bikereplife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #2

Re: Help- Lights, AC, Shore Power, TV, Surround Sound

1- None of the interior lights (florescent or focus lights) will turn on.

Check fuse panel, those lights usually power off of 30 amp passenger, driver side fuses. Do you have any 12 volt power in the back, there is also a main reset able breaker before fuse panel

2- I have plugged into my house/shore power for several hours. At this point the microwave was usable, and the roof AC would turn on.

These should work as soon as you plug in.

3- I recently plugged back in and blew the fuse on my house 5 times in a row...and possibly lost power in my neighborhood soon after.

What kind of circuit did you plug into, and what did you have turned on in the van. If plugged into

4- I could not get the batteries to charge
While driving or while plugged in. It is possible that your batteries are so low the charger will not charge them. "05" puts you into the time frame of the surepower 1315 separator, there could be issue with that.

5- there is a beep that comes from a panel in the closet of the SMB. NOT A SMOKE OR C02 ALARM.

6- Is it possible to get the outlets (there are @ 4-6) to power up while driving so my son can watch TV or I can use the Surround Sound?

do you have a inverter? You need to check and see if you have a inverter or just a charger. Model numbers and pictures help.

7- The AC (roof) blows neither warm or cool air...just air.

while plugged in or driving?

I think that is a start and others will have additional ideas.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #3

@bikereplife, you should post your location. Maybe a forum member nearby could meet up with you. Always easier to troubleshoot in person.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
@bikereplife, you should post your location. Maybe a forum member nearby could meet up with you. Always easier to troubleshoot in person.
x2
Old 05-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #5

So I live in Claremont NH.

I think I found the problem w the fuse (house) panel tripping. I had a bad connection in the thick black cord (looks like a dryer cord...conects to an adapter and then to a HD extension cord...from the van.

The Roof top AC when parked, only blows air and is VERY loud. it does not blow either warm/hot or cold air. Can you recharge a rooftop AC unit like a car AC.

interior lights in the sleeping area...weather its the florescent or the 4 mini spot light type lights...none will power up. I have had the batteries charged previously...the microwave works...the refridge works...and the outlets...but none of the lights will work.

So I thought I could power a small TV (20" flat screen) and a surround sound bar and subwoffer from the power outlets in the van. Is this possible? THis is what I have...

TV-
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-22- ... &cp=1&lp=1

Soundbar-

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-2-1 ... &cp=1&lp=4

and this is the converter I have currently...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpower- ... &cp=1&lp=1

Thanks for helping the rookie out!
bikereplife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #6

You have two very different power systems in the van, one would be like stand house power 110 volts AC. The other is 12 Volt DC like the power in the vehicle. Your florescent and spot lights will be off of 12 volt power. I would expect a possible fuse issue, or breaker issue.

You will most likely have a converter or a inverter/charger installed in your van. A converter will take the 110 that you get in your van and convert is to 12 volts to run the 12 volt system and charge the battery.

A Inverter/charger will have the converter part built into it, but it will also take the 12 volts from the battery and invert that to 110 volts AC that you could see at the plugs installed in the van. If you do not have a inverter you will not be able to get 110 to your plugs unless your are plugged in.

The converter you have (it is a inverter) is only 400 watts. You would need to make sure the two things you want to plug into it TV and sound bar do not consume more than 400 watts

I suspect when you say outlets in the van you mean you plug your CyberPower - 400-Watt 400AI DC-to-AC Inverter into a "12 volt outlet" and try to run your TV and soundbar off of that. Yes that will work as long as you do not go over the 400 watts of the inverter. I think the soundbar is listed as 310 watts, so I expect you are over the limit. Also, it is possible that you have a modified sine wave inverter that may not run these things.

I would first check that you have 12 volts at the 12 volt socket and go back and check fuses.

I can't realty help with the AC unit.

-greg
Old 05-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
I suspect when you say outlets in the van you mean you plug your CyberPower - 400-Watt 400AI DC-to-AC Inverter into a "12 volt outlet" and try to run your TV and soundbar off of that. Yes that will work as long as you do not go over the 400 watts of the inverter. I think the soundbar is listed as 310 watts, so I expect you are over the limit. Also, it is possible that you have a modified sine wave inverter that may not run these things.
I think he means the standard plugs that are placed thoughout the van. I'm not an expert, but I think those are only live if you are plugged in to shore power. You could do what Scalf77 refers to above by plugging in an inverter to a 12 volt auxilary port, but I imagine if you are running a TV, DVD player, and surround sound, you will suck down the house battery pretty quickly.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
I think he means the standard plugs that are placed throughout the van. I'm not an expert, but I think those are only live if you are plugged in to shore power. You could do what Scalf77 refers to above by plugging in an inverter to a 12 volt auxiliary port, but I imagine if you are running a TV, DVD player, and surround sound, you will suck down the house battery pretty quickly.
I was in the same thinking until I realized he was showing me the inverter he had, which is when I thought maybe he was talking about the 12 volt plugs.

If not, then he would need a inbuilt inverter to power those AC receptacles while he is driving.

-greg
Old 05-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #9

If you get down near Philadelphia, Pa., on your sales rep rounds, give me a yell and maybe we can meetup and I can help you figure out some of these things.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:25 AM   #10

Roof ac will blow house breaker because of load. You need 30 amps to run most ac units. You probably are plugged into 20 amp or 15 amp. Now lets talk inverter. I'm surprised the SMB has no inverter of it's own but having an inverter just for entertainment is good idea. The problem you will have is resistance in the wiring making the inverter think you have low voltage and going into protection mode. The only remedy is a homerun to your coach batteries using a big guage wire(10 guage minimum). Cigarette lighter plugs are just about useless.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote