Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #1

Help Needed, Broken POP TOP Hinge Bolt

OK,
So I was showing our neighbor our new SMB that has a pop top and when I went to lower it (manual, not power) the top came crashing down on top of my head knocking me to the ground, not good!!!
Anyway, after saying a few nasty words , I realized that the hinge bolt had broken on the load bars that allows the top to rise and lower. After running quickly to Fastenal and purchasing a grade (9 not a grade 8) and returning to try and get the new bolt in the poll to allow the top to again raise an lower. Well once again, thats easier said then done, now the polls wont line up and I can't get the new pin in the polls to get the top working again.
Need any advice on how to replace these pins PLEASE

I'll try & post all of our progress on our family dream, when we have some.....
AdventureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #2

Re: Help Needed, Broken POP TOP Hinge Bolt

Which bolt?

When I redid the top hardware there wasn't any problem- the top was down and there was no pressure on any of the holes through the top- pulled a bolt and everything stayed lined up. I think that because of that your best position to work on it is down, but I don't know, I've never had the covers off the cross bars- that would be my next move is to pull the cover (if the bolt is part of it) and look to see what is not in alignment.

If it's a cross pin or something in the mechanism, then you are probably going to have a tougher time of it. I'm surprised one broke- mine are grade 2 and with a power top didn't show any signs of damage, even with the bent J hook base.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #3

I'd suggest sending Peter DelToro (p.deltoro@sportsmobile.com) at SMB West an e-mail explaining the problem and ask for some advice....I'm sure that he will get back to you.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #4

I'm guessing by the hinge bolt, you mean the bolt that ties the two top supports together in the middle.

And I'll further guess that the top has to be up to replace the bolt. You will probably need your neighbor to help lift the top, and some wood to block it up while you replace the bolt. If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will correct me.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #5

Raising the top as Mike suggested is the best way to replace the bolt. Using 2x4's and a floor jack, and extra muscle can be helpful. You'll also want to see what grade bolt was used originally, and check the bolt on the other side as it might need to be replaced too. Grade 8 bolts were used in the past.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #6

I give up , I must be having computer problems, I wrote for well over an hour each time (2nd time) explaining everything I've found out, what I'm going to do to fix the issues and more, but only to have everything I written both times lost, man is this beyond frustrating, an sorry don't have it in me to start all over a third time tonight!!!!!!!

First time was my fault, I started this last night, finished it up but was beat after a long day with the kids an I wanted to proof read it before SUBMITTING it, so when I went to do it tonight when I finally got time to sit down to do something I wanted to do, I hit SUBMIT and bam it was all gone. So after being totally bummed, I sat down again to rewrite it all over only to have it happen a second time after spending another 1-1.5 hrs. SO this last time when I went to hit SUBMIT it asked me to log in again, and yes I was log in to begin with, so after I caulm down maybe I'll sit down a third time. But if I do, I'll write it in word first and copy and paste here.

Cheers all and thanks for the help and comments!!!
I'll try & post all of our progress on our family dream, when we have some.....
AdventureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #7

Sounds like a wise Word, Grasshopper.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote