Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

Help pop top install

Hey fellow friends,

I just sent off my doner van, the rusted out 89 e150 sportsmobile. I took all of my measurements, except the MOST IMPORTANT ONE! Can someone please help me out I need to know the measurement for the cut from the side to the hole and the rear to the hole. Can't figure out how to get this measurement to ensure that to fiberglass top sits properly in the gutter around the van.

Thanks In advance for any help you may be able to provide!

I posted in another section that I belive is the wrong section but it won't delete.
Attached Thumbnails
received_538408636685116.jpg  

Urbanoverlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #2

My advice is to measure what you are putting in the hole. Obviously width wise have it centered on the van. For the lengthwise, all of the ones I have seen, the cut starts right behind the B pillar support, so then measure from there.

If your fiberglass is not attached to the lift mechanism, I actually placed my lift mechanism on the roof of my van and traced It.

I had measurements from a donor van, but felt this was easier and more foolproof.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #3

I had no measurements from my donor van and did exactly what bemerritt described above (he was there to help). Figure out the width of the lift mechanism and center that on the roof, then measure the length of the lift mechanism and start that cut right behind the B-pillar.

Good thing is, even if you are off a bit it doesn't really matter. If your lift mechanism is detached from the fiberglass roof you install the lift mechanism first and then position the roof on top of the crossbars so it sits right where you want it to. Then you attach the lift mechanism to the fiberglass roof. Hole can be off slightly and no one will ever know but you!
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #4

On my EB they took out one of the cross members and placed that behind the B pillar and started the cut from there backwards.

Rob
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:40 AM   #5

Awesome yes I recall in the doner van it sitting right at the b pillar. The dinar van sold so fast I over looked those two measurements before it rolled away lol!
Old 04-10-2019, 05:41 AM   #6

Yea my lid is seperate, that was the biggest worry was the roof not lining up. Great point about being able to attach it where ever I need to worse case!

Ya'll wanna come help put another one on ��
Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 AM   #7

Nice, although that Would make it hard to determine where it actually started on my standard wb. Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #8

Adhesive

Maybe you guys can help! I was able to get 3/4 butyl for the sides. Although it looks like everything was 2" I'll just double it up. However on the front there is black butyl tape and over the mounting screws in the top. I can find this anywhere. I plan on putting my top on tomorrow. Can I use the grey butyl tape on the front? And can someone reccomend a sealant for the roof? I do an to replace the canvas later this year, I've hear some sealents make it impossible to get off. Your advise is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanoverlanding View Post
Maybe you guys can help! I was able to get 3/4 butyl for the sides. Although it looks like everything was 2" I'll just double it up. However on the front there is black butyl tape and over the mounting screws in the top. I can find this anywhere. I plan on putting my top on tomorrow. Can I use the grey butyl tape on the front? And can someone reccomend a sealant for the roof? I do an to replace the canvas later this year, I've hear some sealents make it impossible to get off. Your advise is greatly appreciated!
I used 1 1/2" wide butyl all the way around attaching the canvas to the roof of the van. Layer of butyl, then the silicone gasket, then another layer of butyl, then screw the through the canvas, all 3 layers and the roof to hold it down. In the front where I attached over the channels in the van roof i just stacked butyl to fill the gaps.

https://www.mcmaster.com/76385a15
https://www.mcmaster.com/1142a78

Didn't use anything between the canvas and the fiberglass shell since it is not a sealing surface.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3552.jpg   IMG_3553.jpg   IMG_3550.jpg   IMG_3558.jpg   IMG_3546.jpg  

BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
I used 1 1/2" wide butyl all the way around attaching the canvas to the roof of the van. Layer of butyl, then the silicone gasket, then another layer of butyl, then screw the through the canvas, all 3 layers and the roof to hold it down. In the front where I attached over the channels in the van roof i just stacked butyl to fill the gaps.

https://www.mcmaster.com/76385a15
https://www.mcmaster.com/1142a78

Didn't use anything between the canvas and the fiberglass shell since it is not a sealing surface.
Do you not have the push boards? When I took mine apart there was a gap in the boards for what I assumed was the bars to be able to move when it goes up and down. But it looks like you just have a conduit clamp on there?