Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #11

With my build, I have asked SMB West to attach two U-bolts 10 feet apart on my EB-52.
Similar in location to the awning location, I want to use them as an anchor for an extended tarp such as Marty showed.

Actually, I was looking at the Costco Sun Shade
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgro ... opnav=&s=1

While not as convenient as the awning, I think it may meet my needs better.

I am hoping that a U-bolt with the associated plates for backing will be a relatively easy thing for SMB to do. They are working on a response.

I'll let you know if they come up with anything positive.

-Mark

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #12

Here was another topic that discussed various awning ideas including the Kelty Carport.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewto ... ight=kelty
Old 03-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #13

Homebuilt Awning Ideas

Thanks bitburger for the link to Cosco, there are many possibilities here with their selection of shapes. Please keep us informed on the u bolt idea. I am a unsure about hooking to the rings/bungee on the penthouse. It may be alright in a no wind/sow condition.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #14

Thanks for the link Sdwindansea. It looks like others have gone down the path of awnings and it was an informative thread.

Unfortunately, I'm now less hopeful that SMB West will be able to respond with Ubolts that will work.

-Mark

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
I ordered the large Kelty carport from REI last week (With my "dividend" check and the 20% off coupon it was about $50!). It should be coming into my local REI store tomorrow so I can play with is this weekend.

In looking at the pictures and playing with what I had in my shop I may have come up with a simple, non-damaging way to attach it to the rain gutters, spring clamps. The ones I have are pretty strong and the rubber bits on the end keep them from scratching the paint or pulling loose. They seem to fasten to the rails really well. I'll let you know if it actually works.

I like the clamp solution because then I'll be able to put the awning on the van in a number of places, including the back.

--Pete
Old 03-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velogeo
I ordered the large Kelty carport from REI last week (With my "dividend" check and the 20% off coupon it was about $50!). It should be coming into my local REI store tomorrow so I can play with is this weekend.

In looking at the pictures and playing with what I had in my shop I may have come up with a simple, non-damaging way to attach it to the rain gutters, spring clamps. The ones I have are pretty strong and the rubber bits on the end keep them from scratching the paint or pulling loose. They seem to fasten to the rails really well. I'll let you know if it actually works.

I like the clamp solution because then I'll be able to put the awning on the van in a number of places, including the back.

--Pete
Pete - good luck with it and please post a topic once you get to try it out. The carport typically attaches to a fixed object (e.g. roof rack) using velcro straps if I remember correctly. You will probably have two options: use the velcro straps around the "V" of the spring clamp or run the awning pole through the "V" of the spring clamp. The only downside of this setup that I can think of is that there will be a small gap between the van and the awning where rain can enter.

The other potential downsides are that the spring clams will not be strong enough in the wind and that you probably will not be able to open the side doors if the awning is attached on that side.

With all of that being said, I really liked the Kelty Carport. We just returned ours since we couldn't come up with a good way to attach it to the van at the time. I would be more than willing to try again if your solution works.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
I don't have any concerns of the clamps pulling loose in the wind. They're very strong and seem to lock into the gutters due to a lucky coincidence of size. I don't know the brand off-hand but will post all the info and pictures if I get it to work.

I'm not worried about getting both side doors open. We usually only open the forward one because we have the rear captains seats.

The rest I'm not sure about. I'm driving cross country and back next month with my father-in-law. He's a very handy and clever guy -- and he's not even reading this -- so I'm hopeful we'll get something figured out.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #18

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
I screwed up...the 16.5 foot sail was way too big to be used with my first-up. i should have bought the 11 foot for $30 instead.

I will mount this in my backyard instead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmocken
You are correct...I pulled a picture of a square sail.

I already bought a triangle shaped 16.5' sail for $50 on eBay. I figure I can always sell it or mount it in my backyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Your shade doesn't match the sail...

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote