Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #1

Homebuilt Awning Ideas

I do not have the factory awning and was leary of it from the beginning because of the mounting/weight issue. I am considering using a lightweight reinforced nylon tarp with side grommets for tie-offs. My solution to the van attachment is the use of a high powered strip magnet which could sandwich the tarp to the van roof, although this may conflict with the doors opening. I am thinking also of using telescoping,(fiberglass or metal), poles for the corners. The problem there leads to rope tie-offs and stakes, which could be a problem in sand or rock, (SMB'rs favorite places. Seeking input and pictures of this type of setup or lightweight alternative to the manufactured awnings. Wind conditions are always a consideration it seems even with the manufactured systems, so a quick tear-down solution is also needed.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Hi Pat. I don't visit the beach much and stay away from hot places so that is the reason I don't use the awning much. But for a quick setup and tear down the SMB awning is hard to beat. I have a tailgating awning that clips to the gutter that pulls out. It has legs that drop and self rewinding guys. It looks like a projection screen or school map when rolled up. Its long and difficult to store, the reason I use tarps or the SMB awning. Around trees a tarp takes time to put up but is great when going in and out of camp. I use extending poles to put up my tarps and bunji's to absorb shock from winds.[img]

Good luck tell us what you dream up
Dave Boyer[/img]

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #3

Here's what I'm planning:

An awning could be attached to each side as well as lights or whatever. Because it's attached to the frame rails it doesn't go up with the top. Because of the front and rear bars it doesn't need to be attached through the van body.

On mine I might need to go in front of the fantastic fan for clearance issues. The rail attachments could be added and moved (to avoid doors and distribute weight).

The opposite side could be eliminated... just attaching the cross members to the rail would probably be enough.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #4

Homebuilt Awning Ideas

Good Idea, It seems it would have to be up off the gutter some to allow for doors as you mentioned. We purchased the Kelty carport but found it would be tough to attach and still get the doors open.
The folks at Fiamma, who make SMB's awning,do not provide a factory bracket, and are reluctant to recommend using their adapter when there is no center post between doors. They make a F-35 which is lighter in weight and also smaller than the SMB awning, and it may be usable.
I think it would be a matter of getting their adapters and going from there. Worst case would be having it attached when in climates for it's use and then leaving it home or bungy it to the top racks for traveling on the road.
It is interesting to surf the net for awnings as many sites are european and they of course don't have the huge motor homes like the states, so many of their awnings are geared for Toyota, VW eurovan, and sprinter.
Keep the ideas flowing. I will be experimenting with a bias cut nylon tarp, made for canoeing etc. as soon as it's warm here.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #5

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Like what you are proposing...

I prefer to bring my First-Up that has a screen net. I can set this up and leave it at the campsite and well as store excess gear. It also has wind curtains for privacy. Total less than $200, but takes up some space inside..so its moving to a hitch haul

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=4664265

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #6

Garage
Another thought...

A shade sail mounted in 2 corners to the PH top and then only 1 line tethered to the ground. Should be easy up/down

I'm going to get one and tie the 3rd line to my First Up Canopy.

Here is a pic of the shade...

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #7

Your shade doesn't match the sail...

Seems like a lot to carry. I took the rainflys and rods off of two different dome tents when we went up to the Sierra Anchas last year. It wasn't a disaster, but it wasn't great either. With some more permanent fixtures and a real plan to mount something alone those lines might be feasible.

I don't have any real good photos, but in the end I was tied to everything, trees, the van, extra poles, a frying pan...

Old 03-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
Site Team

Another option might be for SMB to make a quick (dis)connect bracket, in which case the awning could be left at home for the majority of the time. It could then be carried inside the van (somewhat cumbersome), or installed prior to leaving on a trip where the awning would be needed. This would minimize the time the weight of the awning is up there flexing the brackets and the van body.

Herb
Old 03-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Here's what I'm planning:

An awning could be attached to each side as well as lights or whatever. Because it's attached to the frame rails it doesn't go up with the top. Because of the front and rear bars it doesn't need to be attached through the van body.
This is an idea that I have been working on for a while. I don't own a Sportsmobile, however I really like the setup. I have a Range Rover with a Hannibal roof rack, rooftop tent and awning system. The awning system is a great idea, there are no guide poles or guide wires required in the setup. Plus they have zip up sides for the awning that turns it into a three sided room with your truck as the fourth side. They have a 5-foot and 7-foot models. It only takes about a minute to deploy the awning and about 5 minutes to zip up the side walls.

Check it out here, http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/AWN7CS.cfm
They are not cheap, but then again, what is...
Thall10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #10

Garage
You are correct...I pulled a picture of a square sail.

I already bought a triangle shaped 16.5' sail for $50 on eBay. I figure I can always sell it or mount it in my backyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Your shade doesn't match the sail...

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'