Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #1

How to Remove Door Panels

I searched around and really couldn't find anything on this. I need to replace the driver and passenger side mirrors on our 07 Ford E350. I know I need to remove the black plastic trim piece on the inside of the door (opposite the mirror) and the door panel as well. Is it relatively straight forward and obvious once I get into this project? Or are there specific steps I need to follow to do this? Thanks as always for the help.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #2

I had to remove the passenger side panel to replace a broken mirror. (funny story behind it) You do have to pull the door panel to get one of the 3 screws that hold the mirror. There are a couple of hidden screws that hold the door panel. You have to pop window switch panel out to see one screw, have to remove the panel under the door release lever to find another screw, then there is another one under a button cover at the bottom of the door panel. The panel was stubborn and I kept thinking I had missed a screw. It lifts up and out.

That mirror is heavy and awkward.

Have fun

Edit
As I was writing this, a girl who lives 4 houses down just T-boned her 6 hour new car into a white pickup right in front of my house. No one hurt. Then a cop pulled over a passerby who was talking on his cell phone while driving.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Geoff,

Sorry for not responding sooner to your question. Charlie hit all the important points. I do remember that lifting and reinstalling the door panel to be somewhat tricky, having to line up all the "clips" or whatever they are, but it didn't take me very long to swap my mirrors out.

BTW, I received the check today. Thanks.

Herb
Old 09-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #4

Thanks Charlie and Herb. I will hopefully get a chance to work on it this weekend. Hopefully I have some extra motivation to take some pictures and do a quick write up to help others out. I can't promise though..
Old 09-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #5

Well, I finally had a project that was much easier than I planned on or expected. I should go play the lottery now.

The door panel removal was quite simple. Pop off the black plastic panel on the opposite the mirror. Remove the visible screw next to the interior door handle. Pop off the two coverings on the interior door handle and the power windows/locks. Remove four more screws (shown below).

I replaced the '07 style mirrors with the '06 I purchased from Bronco_Hauler. They work great!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Hum.....something I have to do. Don't use a razor blade to remove ice off the mirror!!! Jacked it up...crap. I would like to be able to install mirrors that have blinkers and de-ice. Anybody do this?
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Hum.....something I have to do. Don't use a razor blade to remove ice off the mirror!!! Jacked it up...crap. I would like to be able to install mirrors that have blinkers and de-ice. Anybody do this?
Dave.
My '02 F250 had the heated tow mirrors with the built-in turn signals. They were great.

Quite some time ago, I read on TheDieselStop.com where someone took the mirror heads off a set of F-series mirrors, and installed them in the E-series mirror bases. The bases are NOT compatible. Then it's a matter or running your parking lights, turn signals and power for the heaters to the mirror heads. I hate running additional wire in a tightly wrapped bundle of wires!

Herb
Old 09-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #8

Dave - if you don't end up going the heated mirror route and just need a pair of 2007 power mirrors in great shape, I now have a set for sale. Just let me know if you are interested. I will say that I like the 2006 style so much better already, then my 2007 mirrors. The convex portion on the bottom really helps eliminate the blind spots. I have no clue why Ford stopped using them in 2007...