Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #11

Re: I need to install some tie down points. A little help??

Oh, I forgot to mention .. I did it this way because I didn't want to drill holes (way too lazy) and figured those existing mount points (bench bracket and shoulder belt) had to be plenty strong.

Those rivnuts are kinda cool but I didn't want to buy even more tools .. I'm always trying to de-clutter my garage and couldn't justify more stuff even if its cool.

Ray

my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #12

Thanks Ray. The existing holes where the bench mounts wont work because I will need the tie down point at the widest point possible. I was thinking about how I could use the seatbelt, but I'm trying to hold something down and I don't know how I would be able to utilize the seatbelt since its near the ceiling.

My other thought is to build a subfloor out of 2x2's and a sheet of plywood. This would allow me to take the rear bench out, but leave the mounting brackets in place. I would build a rectangular frame with the 2x2's and screw the plywood onto the frame. I'll probably need one more 2x2 to offer support in the middle. I could then just bolt up some D rings on the subfloor itself. I'm trying to decide whether it would be easier for me to have this removable subfloor or unbolting the bench seat brackets each time.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Thanks Ray. The existing holes where the bench mounts wont work because I will need the tie down point at the widest point possible. I was thinking about how I could use the seatbelt
This probably your easiest solution. If you use a single-bolt D-ring, you can just sandwhich it in at the floor-mounts of your existing seatbelts. You may have to use a slightly longer bolt. But this way you already have a rated anchorage, and as long as you don't use both the D-ring and the seatbelt at the same time, you should be good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Forged-S...p2054897.l5666
Old 04-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #14

I'll have to check out the floor mount of the seat belt. I thought the seat belt clipped into a socket on the bench, like it does on the second row captains, but I may be wrong.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Thanks Ray. The existing holes where the bench mounts wont work because I will need the tie down point at the widest point possible. I was thinking about how I could use the seatbelt
This probably your easiest solution. If you use a single-bolt D-ring, you can just sandwhich it in at the floor-mounts of your existing seatbelts. You may have to use a slightly longer bolt. But this way you already have a rated anchorage, and as long as you don't use both the D-ring and the seatbelt at the same time, you should be good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Forged-S...p2054897.l5666
Just FYI, the seller CarringB linked above is great. Not sure about the product but it looks good too. I try to remember and support Ebay sellers who do a good job and I've bought a thing or two from these folks.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #16

I ended up buying some tie down mounts made for truck beds. These are the type that are installed in the stake openings. I figured I would try these out because there would be zero rattling but mainly because no one in my town carried any D rings that mounted with one bolt. The body of the mount is threaded, so I just bought some bolts and washers to screw into it. Its not a heavy duty application, but I think it will work for me. Put them right behind each wheel well.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Very clean looking. I like it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #18

Thanks! I'll put it to use this weekend and see how it does.