Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #1

Installed Eli's awing brackets

Before I started I had the brackets powder coated white to match the van.

Later, I wished I had some instructions on the installation and a 2nd set of hands.

Which way do the small brackets go? At first I didn't recognize the large brackets tuck into a slot on the awning. Fortunately I did not bend the bracket tightening the bolt, but it did cause the hole I drilled to be in the wrong place.

The stainless steel hardware gave me problems. Stainless steel tends to gall and seize in stainless steel and I had one of the clamp bolts seize solid before it got tight. A real bitch getting a hacksaw blade in there and cutting the bolt in two to get it out. I replaced it with some 8mm bolts/nuts I had laying around. And a little loctite for security.

My penthouse can touch the awning now - when it is centered on the top! I thought there would be some clearance. Maybe my top is wider than most?

I mounted the awning in the same place on the van since I already had the leg brackets mounted on the van body. Otherwise I might have moved it forward a foot or so. And I left the brackets the same distance from the ends of the awning so they both support the same weight.

I still have to finish the old bracket holes in the middle.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Installed Eli's awing brackets

Mike, If I remember correctly somebody else had discussed the awning being close if not hitting the top but found a solution. Don't remember what they did.

I've also had the same problem with SS bolts and learned to use a lube of some kind before threading...except when I forget

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #3

Yeah, I worked in chemical instrumentation for many years and anti-seize was always used on SS on SS to prevent problems. I guess I can chalk this one up to old age memory failure.

The installation was at the forefront of my thinking, and anti-seize was not.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 08-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Team

So, you use anti-seize and then use Loctite?

Use anti-seize to thread the nut on the bolt, then back it off a few threads, clean those threads, apply Loctite and retighten? Do I have that right? What's the downside of lock washers instead?

Herb

P.S. Still haven't installed the brackets on my awning yet. One of a long list of things to do on my vehicles.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #5

No Herb I didn't use the anti-seize on the SS hardware that Eli supplied. If I had, I would not have had the seizing problem.

But, I did use Loctite on the non-self locking nuts that I used.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 08-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #6

Which way DO the small brackets fit? I am about to put my awning back up with Eli's brackets and you raise an interesting question. Does anybody have the answer or a picture or a drawing?

I didn't get any bolts. What size did you use? I was going to use domed stainless with a hex drive.. any comments?
spomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spomo1
Which way DO the small brackets fit? I am about to put my awning back up with Eli's brackets and you raise an interesting question. Does anybody have the answer or a picture or a drawing?

I didn't get any bolts. What size did you use? I was going to use domed stainless with a hex drive.. any comments?

Here is what I did...... I thought the way I mounted it let the bracket hang out a little more. I used the small edge in the drip rail and the larger edge against the bracket which pushes it out just a little more. My PH has hit once while coming down. If the PH isn't perfectly centered it will hit the brackets on the way down. It took out my rubber moulding on the bottom of the PH. I was able to put the rubber back.

The fix is to actually bend the brackets forward some as others have done. I don't have a vice to grip the bracket so I can bend it. Also these are hardy/beefy brackets that would take a lot of force to bend them forward a little to overcome the PH hitting it. I now make sure the side away from the brackets on the PH touches the van roof first when I take it down to prevent the PH from hitting the brackets.

Scroll down near the bottom of the page.....
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...3583&start=525
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #8

Hey guys,

Here is a link that started the hole thing. on page 2 or 3 are pictures of my van with the brackets installed. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=880&hilit=cracks large bend on the backing plate goes down, on the roof line. Some have felt that the clearance is to close, and bent the brackets out ward. The brackets were designed with close tolerance to keep the awning out of harms way. Some :english" can be applied to the top. It is close, but I have never hit my top.

Spomo1 you should have had a small zip lock bag with SS had ware in it. It should have had 2 hex head bolts, washers and nylocks. Check your shipping material. If not, I will get you the size or send you new hard ware if you want to wait.

Hope this helps clear up things.

Eli
Old 08-20-2010, 05:13 AM   #9

Eli.

Thanks for the responses here and on PM. The brackets are installed and are awesome.. work just as you said they would and seem to be a huge improvement over the old SMB version. Thanks for engineering a great solution and being willing to support it and answer questions!
spomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
P.S. Still haven't installed the brackets on my awning yet. One of a long list of things to do on my vehicles.
We should start a club. At least you already have an awning!