Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #1

Interior "remodel" time for the SMB

Our SMB is approaching 7 years of family service and 85,000 miles.

It has given us nothing but fun and comfortable travel all over the western US.

But, with 3 growing kids and one large dog, the van's interior (seats in particular) has been hammered. It is time for an upgrade.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for companies in SoCal that could upgrade and remodel the van's interior. We have the EB-51 layout. Our highest priority is to get new and more comfortable captain's chairs and bench seats for the kids. But we may also want to move or remove some cabinets.

I've already inquired with R.V. Interiors in Spring Valley and am waiting to hear back from them.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't have any problem just going back to SMB West and having them do the work, but want to fully research all options.

Suggestions on new/comfortable captain's chairs would be helpful too.

Thanks.
Rob

Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #2

Re: Interior "remodel" time for the SMB

I replaced my cab seats with mid-line seats from Discount Van http://www.discountvantruck.com/.
They were the best price I could find, met the delivery date exactly, and I am very pleased with the final product. I did all my bidness with them thru a tech guy named Mr. Ivas (Eye-vuss) rather than Sales... highly recommend that route.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #3

First suggestion is pick someone local and figure out your build changes in as much detail as possible, including parts. I have spoken with Jeff at RVI and really like him and his work. However, when the time came to fix a lot of issues on my original build from CCV Chris from UJOINT recommened a Mike at Wicked Fabrication here in So Cal, local to me. He is getting more into the van world and has a pretty impressive van himself.

After seeing his work ethic and his work on the fixes we had planned for my van I had him redo a big portion of my interior and am very happy. It has held up very well so far. Mine isn't a normal build out because he had to work with and around the original build. I chose to stick with a futon mattress in back for sleeping comfort so it doesn't look as cool in the sofa position as SMB stuff but Mike can get custom work done also to look more offical. He also has the knack for sourcing quality parts without me having to monitor every single item as with some other folks.

If you want to see his work on my van you can skip the reading drama and just scroll to the photos:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...7766&hilit=ccv

Since the photos I had Mike do other work as well like make a custom removable swival captians chair base and mount for a captians chair behind the front seats. The chair swivels so I can chill and stare out the barn doors, it is great. I can pull the captains chair and put in the bench seat if needed still. He is a very skilled fabricator and if I had the cash would have him make a front bumper with winch.

Gooseberry had some running board type guards made for his van by Mike as well so you could contact him for reference also if interested.

I have also met Alan from SMB West a few times and he seems very customer orientated so if you have the cash and time that is always an option. I buy stuff from their site at times, actually reasonable prices and Alan always answers my questions. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Mike:
Extreme Sport Vans/Wicked Fabrication
Email: wicked.mikey@yahoo.com
Phone : 818 535-5445

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER
First suggestion is pick someone local and figure out your build changes in as much detail as possible, including parts. I have spoken with Jeff at RVI and really like him and his work. However, when the time came to fix a lot of issues on my original build from CCV Chris from UJOINT recommened a Mike at Wicked Fabrication here in So Cal, local to me. He is getting more into the van world and has a pretty impressive van himself.

After seeing his work ethic and his work on the fixes we had planned for my van I had him redo a big portion of my interior and am very happy. It has held up very well so far. Mine isn't a normal build out because he had to work with and around the original build. I chose to stick with a futon mattress in back for sleeping comfort so it doesn't look as cool in the sofa position as SMB stuff but Mike can get custom work done also to look more offical. He also has the knack for sourcing quality parts without me having to monitor every single item as with some other folks.

If you want to see his work on my van you can skip the reading drama and just scroll to the photos:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...7766&hilit=ccv

Since the photos I had Mike do other work as well like make a custom removable swival captians chair base and mount for a captians chair behind the front seats. The chair swivels so I can chill and stare out the barn doors, it is great. I can pull the captains chair and put in the bench seat if needed still. He is a very skilled fabricator and if I had the cash would have him make a front bumper with winch.

Gooseberry had some running board type guards made for his van by Mike as well so you could contact him for reference also if interested.

I have also met Alan from SMB West a few times and he seems very customer orientated so if you have the cash and time that is always an option. I buy stuff from their site at times, actually reasonable prices and Alan always answers my questions. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Mike:
Extreme Sport Vans/Wicked Fabrication
Email: wicked.mikey@yahoo.com
Phone : 818 535-5445
This is just what I needed, thanks very much. Your van interior looks great. The wood flooring is a nice touch that my wife would appreciate.

I will give Mike a call later today.

Rob
Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider

This is just what I needed, thanks very much. Your van interior looks great. The wood flooring is a nice touch that my wife would appreciate.

I will give Mike a call later today.

Rob
Just to be clear and give credit where credit is due the flooring was done by Derek at CCV. It has held up well, is easy to clean and very reasonable in price. I can't say the same for much of the rest of his interior work on my van but the floor was a great choice and part of my original build.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote