Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #11

Re: Jacks/Airbag, Recovery Gear and Tire kits

You're not lifting the full weight of the van, but more or less one corner. I was thinking the aluminum rails would be a problem, but most of the photos show it back up under the frame which is really great as even my larger jack I carry I don't think would lift a tire off the frame light that, and you can't get a highlift anywhere but a corner if even that.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #12

I'm sure that it works well, but a $100 HyLift Jack can double as a winch and doesn't need compressed air to operate.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #13

X jack doesn't use compressed air, it uses exhaust- it's very low pressure.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
X jack doesn't use compressed air, it uses exhaust- it's very low pressure.
Well, that is certainly resourceful, but does the vehicle need to stay running while the jack holds it up and how long can that go on?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
I'm sure that it works well, but a $100 HyLift Jack can double as a winch and doesn't need compressed air to operate.
I am not sure where you would use the hylift on the van? Maybe the rear trailer hitch and wheel straps?? I have a hard time understanding how the hylift works on our vans other than strapping a wheel and dragging it a little? Am I missing something? I wouldn't trust the aluminess bumper to take the weight in front and no side positions?
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
I am not sure where you would use the hylift on the van? Maybe the rear trailer hitch and wheel straps?? I have a hard time understanding how the hylift works on our vans other than strapping a wheel and dragging it a little? Am I missing something? I wouldn't trust the aluminess bumper to take the weight in front and no side positions?
The problem doesn't seem to be the weight, but the more outboard positions on the aluminess are not flat. I've used the hi-lift on both the front bumper just outside the D-ring mount where it's still flat and on/in the rear hitch, but not outside my driveway and never to lift a tire.

Hi-Lifts are something like 7000 lbs, and there is a shear pin that will collapse if you exceed that. From my experience on the front corner just trying to get the van level (install of leveling bubbles) I probably would only turn to a Hi-Lift as a last resort to change a tire, even on level pavement.

I've used them as a come-a-long too, and while they far outshine a real come-a-long, you have to keep resetting as there is only a few feet of draw.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #17

I think an X-aire or other exhaust airbag jack could be really useful. The large footprint means it will work on soft ground without cribbing. And.... If you get stuck in a hole, you could jack it up, and pull it forward while jacked up, causing the jack to roll over. This would be much safer than doing the same with a hi-lift jack, especially since the airbag jack is giant cushion.

But... I wouldn't rely on it as my only jack. Murphy's law would surely intervene, and your motor won't run just at the same time you need to jack the van up. Also, could be really hard to get it to stay put while inflating if you need it underwater, like getting stuck while crossing a stream.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
If you get stuck in a hole, you could jack it up, and pull it forward while jacked up, causing the jack to roll over.
The way it's built it seems reinforced on top, and where common placement (in front of tire on frame) makes me think this is a bad idea, even without the potential to tear on something under the van. In looking at louie's stuck pic I was thinking, wow, you'd have to jack, fill the hole, and then ease off without spinning yourself down again.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #19

Admittedly, I haven't seen one in person. I just assumed the whole thing was some sort of rip-proof material. So maybe my idea wouldn't work.... And, to do that would required placing it under the rear. The factory spare tire is strong enough for this. (Ford recommends placing a sling-lift under the spare tire for towing if a wheel lift or flatbed can't be used). But I wouldn't want to try that if there's anything else under there like tanks or underfloor storage.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

Maybe one more tool in the toolbox. I never thought a highlift jack had its place till CellularSteve showed me wrong. Now I carry one. The question is how many tools do you have to carry? My tool box is running me out of space!

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote