Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #21

Last of the onion peeling

After Jage's comment (but perhaps jinx is a better term) I spent two days in 3d modeling software seeing if I could convert this van to an EB50 layout. Thankfully, I couldn't figure out a way to do it without moving some of the systems around, so I moved ahead with the current plan. I did take the advice to replace the subfloor. So I removed it, labeling the holes and edges and saving it for a template for the new subfloor.

And while I'm at it, I might as well redo the insulation properly. So that came out, too.

No more peeling back layers. Now it's time to put it back together.

I decided to use the 1/4" cork underlayment to deaden sound and insulate. It should also create a kind of moisture barrier for the subfloor while remaining fairly breathable. I used the old subfloor as a template and cut the cork.

The flange around the sunken galley stood a 1/4" proud of the rest of the van floor, which is one of the reasons the previous subfloor was so whacky. I guess they figured carpet and padding made that ok. With the cork, I was able to stop at the edge of the flange and eliminate any problems for my new subfloor.

Continued in next post . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Subfloor removed.jpg   Insulation removed.jpg   Cork marked and ready.jpg  

leoberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #22

Subfloor and insulation

I used the old, rotten, disgusting subfloor one last time as a template for my new subfloor. And then it went in the dumpster.

There is no more funky smell in my van. Of course there's almost nothing left in my van. My wife came out today when I was working and saw it stripped down to the bare metal. "Why didn't you just buy a cargo van?", she asked. I wished I had a quicker answer for her. But, back to the subfloor . . .

I decided to go with 3/4" exterior rated, T&G subfloor plywood. It has a sanded face, is patched, is very (almost suspiciously) light weight and, at $23, costs a $100 per sheet less than marine ply. With the 1/4" cork and the 3/4" ply, I am sacrificing a 1/2" of precious head room, unfortunately.

It is really nice to walk on this subfloor, even before I've got all the screws and bolts in it. Big improvement.

After installing the subfloor, it was my turn to do some parenting this afternoon. I gave my daughter the following options: play with her cousins, go the library for new books, visit her grandmother, or work on the camper van. She chose right; so, we ran a portable heater out to the van and got to work on the bubble foil insulation.

My daughter loves tape right now, so she was pretty excited to be in charge of the aluminum tape. I had thought that the hundreds of dollars of blue tape my wife has let her go through in the last year was a total waste, but it turns out she's developed some uncanny skills. If you've ever worked with this tape before, you know it can be a little tricky. She peeled and stuck every piece we did. I got this van so I could take my family on some adventures, but little did I know that they would begin in my driveway while it's completely torn apart.

Tomorrow, I'll get that subfloor completely screwed down and start laying out my floor.

Thanks again for all the help.

Leo
Attached Thumbnails
Subfloor installed.jpg   Insulation helper.jpg   Bubble foil finished.jpg  
Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #23

Re: My new 1994 SMB project.

So- I've never seen a sunken galley before, does anyone else have one? I'd assumed they'd built up a frame over the rest of the van floor, not cut down through it. Cool, cool, cool. I'm glad I got to see it, even if it cost you extra work
Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #24

Jage, your comment reminded me that I forgot to mention that I have left the subfloor around the sunken galley rough cut. This way I can cut it to match the footprint of my cabinets. They didn't do this with the original build. They cut the subfloor at an arbitrary line and let cabinets hang over.

In terms of construction, I was surprised by the sunken galley as well. It's not supported from below.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that, instead of OSB for the sunken galley subfloor, they used 1/2" ACX ply; so I didn't change it. Plus, that's where I want the most head room; so I was happy not to add another 1/2".

Attached Thumbnails
Sunken galley detail.jpg  
Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #25

Re: My 1994 SMB project.

Congratulations, you are doing what looks to be a great job. I love the story about your daughter and the tape, I think you'll be building a lifetime of good memories with this project. Wait 'till you get to take everyone camping for the first time...
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #26

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Wait. Can you do it all over again I missed some. Just Kidding.
I'm was super impressed with all your progress until I saw you have a helper.
Congrats on what you have done looks like its going to be just what you want. I wish I could work on mine but while its still under 25 degrees and the mountain is open the weekends are all about Skiing.
Thanks for the pictures.
Ron
Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #27

Re: Subfloor and insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoberk
She peeled and stuck every piece we did. I got this van so I could take my family on some adventures, but little did I know that they would begin in my driveway while it's completely torn apart.
Too cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoberk
My wife came out today when I was working and saw it stripped down to the bare metal. "Why didn't you just buy a cargo van?", she asked. I wished I had a quicker answer for her.
Haha, i love it!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Specing on new build also
Wait, what? NEW build?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #29

Window removal and reinstall

After getting that subfloor in last weekend, it was really easy to see how much water was leaking in through my windows. I was hoping to do the floor this weekend, but I don't want any moisture getting in. So I pulled the windows out, remade the wooden frames, bought some commercial window sealant, and put them back in. They are now feeling way more sturdy that before. My wooden frames are built better than the old ones, and I think that helps. Seems like this window procedure is old news on this forum, so I'll just get right to the pictures.

Attached Thumbnails
_MG_4386.JPG   _MG_4389.JPG   _MG_4391.JPG  
Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #30

Here's another minor update. I'm wrapping up odds and ends before I install my floor. Yesterday, I cut the hole and lid for the under-floor storage compartment. Made a template, routed to the depth of the plywood and made a hole and a lid at the same time. I decided to do the hole after installing the subfloor so that I could align it with the reference line that I will be squaring my flooring and cabinets to.

As you can see, I do need to reline the interior of the storage compartment. But that's on a low priority.

I was going to install fiberglass insulation after my floor, but I realized this morning that I would have to cover the floor so that I don't get spray adhesive on it which I was going to use to adhere the insulation. I should either do that first or figure out a different way of hanging the insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_4404.JPG   _MG_4405.JPG   _MG_4406.JPG