Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #11

Hi Marcel,

I concur with JWA, I would go about removing the trim piece. There should be a metal strip underneath where there are screws that penetrate into the fiberglass and bite into the sheet metal. I am actually kind of surprised that there is such a huge gap with that trim piece and the high top, mine is flush against the surface. I would maybe loosen a few screws and try gently pull the strip away from the top with a plastic trim removal tool, clean it up a bit and apply a some uv rated caulking and then tightening it back up.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #12

Many thanks JWA and Cyrull!

After I peel the trim off the high top and repair whatever is going on underneath, does anyone know where to buy a new trim?
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #13

You should be able to reuse it, but if you can't check out this ebay seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331297326470

They have different types, try to compare it to your original. They also have the metal trim piece if you need, but its pricey and you would need to bend it yourself. Also, if you need to replace the piece around the entire high top, you will need about 35 Ft.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #14

I have no idea how old your van is, if you mentioned it I missed that. That said it looks good on the inside from what I can see but, that said, it looks as if you have some major problems with rust in general. You
said you lived somewhere in the PNW, from the amount of rust I can see in your pics I’d have to guess it’s somewhere near salt water. That’ll tear your vehicle apart faster than anything else I’ve ever heard of! If you plan to keep your van as long as possible....I sincerely hope you plan to tackle the rust problems next! I’m no expert, but living in the LA area for 3 years pretty much destroyed a previous car. I was told I could’ve saved it had I done something sooner. I surely hope that’s on your list! Good Luck!!
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieKat View Post
I have no idea how old your van is, if you mentioned it I missed that. That said it looks good on the inside from what I can see but, that said, it looks as if you have some major problems with rust in general.
The exterior rust we see isn't as bad as some would think it is. Yes it should be dealt with ASAP not only to address that issue but the leak Marcel is working to repair at the same time.

Yes dealing with rust ASAP is a good idea but in this case its not a dire emergency. I say that from the perspective of previously owning a body shop.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:53 PM   #16
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Huijser View Post
Advice needed

While I was aware of an issue on the exterior for about 1.5 yr, I only noticed water coming through on the inside a few days ago. I can no longer ignore the problem and have to deal with it.

History:

It is a 1997 Ford E350 and has been in our possession for about 2.5 yrs. We replace the cracked windshield about 2.5 yr ago. About 1.5 yr ago I noticed paint flaking in the corner. Put rust transformer on it. Also about 1.5 yr ago we put silicone in the gutters that were cracking and on the lower edge of the seal for the high top. Last yr the paint flaking continued. Last weekend I noticed a leak on the inside above the visor after a rainstorm. The brown color in the images is partly because of the rust transformer.

I hope you can help identifying the root cause of the issue:
1. Is the problem with the seal of the high top?
2. Is the problem with the seal of the window?
3. Is the problem with the roof joint (I saw other posts on this form, but I am not sure where that joint is)?

Any advise how to diagnose and fix it?

Many thanks!
I’m sorry for your troubles. I’m kind of glad it didn’t start leaking until now. Mine leaked from the day I got it. I’ve been very vocal about this: SMBW wouldn’t fix it. Brand new. Under warranty... So I’m going to give you this advice because this is what I did: I had someone competent fix it. I had to pay for it on my own dime even though it was under warranty, but it was well worth it. If you can find someone who knows what they’re doing, then bite the bullet and pay to get it fixed. I’m sure yours is out of warranty anyway, so it’s better you pay someone who knows what they’re doing and get it fixed right the first time.

The good thing about the SMB is that you can pretty much peel back anything/everything to check for water damage or mold, and repair/replace as necessary. They aren’t really built well, quality-wise, so there’s a good chance that if you do find someone to do the work, it’ll be better than when it was built. Seriously. So look at this as not only a repair, but an opportunity to make it better and future-proof it at the same time.

BTW, there are hundreds of videos on YouTube showing owners fixing leaks and step-by-step instructions on other leak-related repairs. Just search for “sportsmobile leak” and lots of those videos are actually people not only showing their leaks and damage, but also how and what they did to fix them.

Good luck to you. Hopefully you get it all fixed up and back out camping!
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:28 AM   #17

For what it’s worth...I know many people on here have done much of their own work, which I had planned to do. BUT! The existing solar panel wiring had drilled through my mirror controls, had to get that fixed at my car repair! Then turned it over to an “ expert”! God what a joke, he had it for nearly two years, never finished the work and I paid for more solar panels and hooks ups so now have 3. He also took out house batts, and prev. Owner took out the entire propane system ( hoses and all!) so- back to square one. It’s a 2005 and in great shape engine and interior. But now it has to go to the experts, and I get to pay!!! Never believe what you’re told I guess. I’ve been saving up for the past two years to get it fixed properly.
Thanks for what you said. But bottom line, I feel like a fool, and it takes forever to get appts. to fix anything on these, plus a long drive. I hope you have
much better luck than I did!
Old 07-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #18

I got it temporarily fixed, but will address it properly as soon as I can. I will report back to the forum about the cause and the fix. Thanks! Marcel
Old 08-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #19

Problem identified and fixed

After we peeled the rubber trim that covers the metal strip, the problem was clearly visible; one of the screw holes had no screw and allowed water to enter the interior... Don't know where the screw went, but I couldn't find the parts of the screw; I suspect it broke. Put in 3 new screws (one in the missing hole, and 2 replacements next to it), and sealed it. Simulated rain, no leak. Now I will fix the bit of rust and paint. Many thanks for the suggestions!
Old 08-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #20

Good for you! Always nice when you find a problem that YOU can fix!!!
��

Tags
high top, leak, seal, window