Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Light bars ??

I am trying to determine what the options are for mounting lights high and facing forward on a Ford SMB....

I searched and found no discussions about light bars. I only remember seeing one on TwoLost's rig (very nice looking).

Anyone else have one?

Anyone know any sources of lightbars for Ford Vans?

suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #2

I think the one on 2Lost's rig is the Baja Designs La Paz light bar - very nice, but very expensive. You can check them out at http://www.bajadesigns.com/
Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Yes, I am not sure I can afford a bar that nice...... so I am looking for other possibilities.....

Keep those cards and letters coming....
Old 03-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #4

Garage
Baja Designs Soltek La Paz Light Bar

My light bar was a hybrid of sorts. The base frame + lights are straight from Baja Designs (Lapaz 5-light light bar, HID lights, Quick Release, Black). This was a complete (pre-wired) kit that I had purchased and then sent to Sportsmobile for customization + mounting.

The custom part of this light bar was the addition of a remotely operated search light in the center light position. Sportsmobile, removed the center light (from the original Baja Designs light bar) and added a custom mount/platform to attach the search light. Next, Sportsmobile came up with the means of attaching the light bar to the van. To do this, Sportsmobile matched the tubing diameter of my Baja Designs light bar quick release attach points and created a cross-bar that extended across the roof of the van and attached very cleanly to the rain gutters. The Baja Designs light bar (fore and aft supports) are also attached to the rain gutters. The whole system turned out exceptionally well and I could not be happier with it.

My light bar lights are switched in pairs (two inside lights + two outside lights). The center search light has its own wireless remote control. The inner two lights are spot lights (HID, black, narrow beam, part# 61-3230) and the outer two are driving lights (HID, black, wide beam, part# 61-3241).

The sales person I was dealing with at Baja Designs was:
Diego Land
Email: diego@bajadesigns.com
Phone: 1.800.422.5292 Ext 122

The basic costs were as follows:
Baja Designs Lapaz 5 Light, Light Bar: $3351.05
Custom Search Light: $429.00
Custom Light Bar Mount: $700.00

Baja Designs Link:
http://www.bajadesigns.com/

Per my specific request, Sportsmobile mounted all of my switches in the overhead console - which turned out very clean. I will post a picture of the overhead switch panel when I get a chance.

In any case, here is a closer look at what they came up:

Cross-bar (view from passenger side looking across the top of the van)

Cross-bar (view from passenger side, wider angle and lower than above)

Cross-bar (view from passenger side, cross-bar front brace)

Cross-bar (view from passenger side, front brace mount, top)

Cross-bar (view from passenger side, front brace mount, bottom)

Cross-bar (view from passenger side, looking toward rear brace)

Cross-bar (view from drivers side, underneath rear brace mount)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Greg,

Are you considering a roof rack? If so, just mount the ligths to the front of the roof rack. As far as the lights themselves, I'm partial to LightForce lights from Australia. I have two of the smallest ones on my Bronco and I love them. They're are VERY ligthweight, have adjustable focus (like Maglites), and very tough. I know someone who races the Baja 1000 with them with their HID versions.

http://www.lightforce.com/

You could just get roof rails installed, and add one crossbar to mount the lights to. Just make sure the roof rails are mounted far enough forward on the penthouse.

Herb
Old 03-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #6

Bronco,

I will have yakima tracks from end to end on top of the PH, but because of the way I want to maximize flexibility and real estate on the PH I really need any lights to be much further forward over the cab.

I am really not keen on punctuing the cab roof for anything. We are thing about the remote control spotlight, and I may have come up with a possible solution.

I understand there is a magnetic mount version. THis version of course would have a corded power need rather than being wired direct. it would be no fun to have to run a power cord through a window or through a door. It does not seem like it would be too much of a problem to pull it out and slap it on top of the cab.... so what about power?

Well, what if we had a 12v outlet installed outside th canvas under the edge of the PH or through the edge of the PH???

I lean a little more towards the under the dege option as a thru the edge would leave a leak opportunity.

THoughts?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #7

You could get a Yakima cross bar used and cheap on EBay with 1A towers and use that and an easy and cheap light platform. Never tried mounting lights to the standard plastic tabs. Guessing they are a bit "light duty" for the app, so might have to fab up your own. Simple radius tabs ("trick Tabs") from just about any dune buggy site or A&A Manufacturing will do the trick. Could just get the towers, weld the tabs on some good mild steel tubing (not pipe), give it some paint, and it would work well. Not as ice as Twolost's setup, but respectible.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #8

Deminimis,

Very good suggestiong.... now considering the amount of yakima gear I have stowed in different corners of the garage and shed, why did I not think of that.....

but I think I may still be leaning towards just magnetically mounting the remote control light alone when needed....
Old 03-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #9

Light Bar

Greg,
I used the very same system that Two Lost installed and am very pleased with the outcome . I did much research on the lights and found that HID Lights needed the internal ballast to keep the harmonic vibration to a minimum on washboard roads (Weight and Clutter), I had planned to use the Hella Hid 4000 in the beginning of my quest for daylight but found that Two Lost system met my needs very well . Two Lost was very kind and helpful in providing me the same information that he posted in your query ,thanks again Bruce. I had SOLO OFF ROAD fabricate my crossbar as Sportmobile did not have the necessary time prior to my pick up date . I will e-mail you some photograph's by normal means as I haven't figured out how to post them on this site yet .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #10

Does anyone have a removeable light bar?

We would prefer something we can remove. Any driving around town will not need the overhead offroad lights. Back and forth to visit family would not need the offroad lights (except to enhance the look)

....but when we are headed out on a trip where we may get offroad..we would want the lights.

There might be times when we just want to magnetically attach the remote control light.

What is common to all this flexibility? The ability to plug in the lights. The ability to plug in JUST the remote control light OR the ability to plug in the light bar with two or four lights attached.... or five with the remote control light attached in the center on its platform.

We will probably go with long rangel lights and the remote light to strart with and then add another pair later.

How does that sound?

Anyone have a setup that unplugs?

Any suggestions how to do this?

Remember we are trying to not pierce the cab roof. Can we have the sockets under the edge of the PH?

What do you think?