Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

Modifying 1994 Dodge EB

Hi, as a 3-year newbie and proud parents to our 1st SMB, here's what I've done.

Took out the microwave. We had never needed it for tent camping and we needed more storage.

Removed the closet rod, tried plastic drawers, didn't work too well. Then put in adjustable shelves.

Took out the sliding pantry and put in adjustable shelves (tight squeeze!) Camping in bear country meant pulling out all our food, and removing can by can from the sliding pantry was not going to cut it. Bags and boxes are easier to move.

Removed the refrigerator, put in a couple of shelves. Same deal in bear country, moving an ice chest to the bear box was easier than clearing out the refrig. and we needed a storage spot for the ice chest.

At this point, we decided we were ready for a new SMB built to our specs.
Attached Thumbnails
modM001s.jpg   modM003s.jpg   modM004s.jpg  

walbloem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #2

Re: Modifying 1994 Dodge EB

I have been in bear country often and have never taken food out of the rv to put in food locker. I must have been playing bear roullette without knowing it.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
I have been in bear country often and have never taken food out of the rv to put in food locker. I must have been playing bear roullette without knowing it.
As former car/tent campers, putting food in the bear locker was a routine that we felt safe with. Once I heard a bear walk by our tent and through the camp at night. You knew the bear was exiting at the far end of camp by the sound of people yelling and banging pots get farther and farther away from us. I didn't sleep too well that night.

Also, in his younger days, my hubby went on several backpacking trips in the Sierra and had run-ins with bears, hence, he's a bit cautious.

Another thought, I have always wondered what do RVers do with their food???
walbloem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Same here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2946

I wouldn't give up my fridge at all. But having an easy way to pull the food out of the pantry after a trip is something I've been thinking about. I worry about rodents more than bears. Thankfully I don't have issues on my driveway.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Site Team

Even Yosemite, with one of the worst raiding bear situations in any National Park, is fine with food left in RV fridges.

Herb
Old 12-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #6

My brothers Westy, Jojo, would say otherwise. They watched a bear crawl in through the side window from their hotel room in Alyeska, Ak. They have a scratched paint job, shattered ceiling vent cover, and a bent fridge door.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Bears learn things. The rangers at Yosemite stress this point. Although it's not rare to have a bear break into a vehicle, usually there is a reason. Most often somebody has left something the bear knows as food in view like an ice chest or anything that looks like that. They have become very gifted (in their case) of knowing how to pop out a cars side window. If you cover the windows, many times it confuses them. RV break-ins are rare but it takes a little common sense to keep it from happening. Even then nothing is full proof.
There are those campers who cook inside their vehicles. Some smells are very attracting to bears. Many odors linger... at least some do more than others. The fact is even if you dump the contents of the pantry and fridge, some smells stay, giving the go ahead for a break in. Brown bears generally stay clear of people but if they don't realize somebody is around, they might sniff about...they break into cabin so why not an RV. Seems that Park black bears are less aggressive unless it's an open grab even with people around. They are thief's and know what they can get away with.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #8

Never even a remote problem in my big motorhome but you do have me thinking about the van. I will keep 38 cal bear spray close while sleeping.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote