Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Mud Flaps in Arizona

Has anyone had problems in Arizona with a sportsmobile not having mud flaps? It look like they are required.

Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #2

Re: Mud Flaps in Arizona

2+ years in AZ. No idea what the law states. No mud flaps. No problems.

Pulled over once. Lots of questions about the van. None of them had anything to do with a lack of mud flaps.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #3

Mud Flaps in Arizona

Ok, looking around now. No way AZ has a mud flap law. If they do, it isn't enforced. 90-95% of the trucks and Jeeps I see don't have them.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #4

Thanks for the post. There is a mud flap law I guess it is just not enforced :

28-958.01. Rear fender splash guards
A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semitrailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section.
B. The splash guards:
1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles.
2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground.
3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected.
4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material.
5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material.
6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions.
C. This section does not apply to:
1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck.
2. A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle.
3. A single, tandem or triple axle trailer with fenders that are wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than fourteen inches from the ground.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #5

Mud Flaps in Arizona

Sounds like that only applies to trucks. Good thing I didn't get an Earth Roamer!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #6

You never really know what they will pull you over for on a slow day. We had our bikes on the back of the X3 in Florida like shown below and were pulled over because he couldn't see the license plate without looking around the side of the bikes. He made us take the cover off the bikes. Whatever....

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #7

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382
You never really know what they will pull you over for on a slow day.
^^^ this. and even if your setup is legal, every officers interpretation of the law will be different. if they want to pull you over, they will.

my first night in my toyota i was pulled over for no mudflaps. apparently (and i never verified) no vehicles can have more than half of thier tire showing (similar to whats mentioned above), meaning from the axle center up, has to be covered. however, he admitted he just used that as an excuse to pull me over to make sure the truck wasnt stolen. ran the vin and let me go.

my advice to anyone whos really worried about it is to look up your local laws and print them out and keep them in your vehicle. wether you choose to argue with the officer, or prove your point in court is up to you, but driving lowered hondas for years i get lumped in with the fartcan, ricer, wannabe kids and get hassled for my exhaust often. ive found that knowledge is your best defence.

please note im not degrading leo's. they have the most thankless jobs ever, but i cross paths with some real choice officers around here that really take advantage of thier badges.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage

I would think splash guards might include fender flares such as Buswhackers. I know in Ca. that the tires can only protrude a specific amount over the edge of the fender well. Still, I too understand being pulled over by the law because of a vehicle code that the officer is truely unaware of or mistaken about. As far as Arizona, my van isn’t a pickup and it is over 10,000 pounds. Just another reason for mud flaps…I just think there’re hideous so I’d want to be able to remove and stow them easily.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #9

Dave,

Mudflaps don't have to be hideous.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Sorry Mike I just don't like them. But if it means being pulled over, I can learn to love them. Besides my trailer would like me more as well. Also I'd hate to throw a rock at someone behind me or just be accused of that because I don't have them.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote