Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 12:08 AM   #101
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
My big fat interior (re)build

I made a 1/4” back panel for the closet/pantry cab, wrapped it in fabric and secured it to the back. A weird photo, this is looking at the cab laying down on its face so I could get a good purchase on getting the panel laid down and screwed in to the curved back
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3767.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	24413
Here it is installed with the slider doors wrapped in the same fabric, one of the heat ducts located on the side of the cab above the sink.

Name:	IMG_3768.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	24414
Here’s one that the wife will really be happy with, the other heat duct runs to the upper pop top area. I used the splitter that comes with the Espar and drilled a hole in the platform. I still have to trim the pop top rear bed pad and have the fabric cover sewn to fit around the duct....if you look closely, you’ll see I put some angle brackets back in to secure the cab to the upper trim

Name:	IMG_3769.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	24415

Name:	IMG_3770.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	24416

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #102

Ref, that interior looks awesome! but im curious are you worried about that heat vent being too high and creating a thermocline in the van with cold air down low and hot air up high?
Old 12-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #103

There are at least two heat ducts. One upper and one lower. The important part will be a shut off for the upper in a situation where the top is down but heat is desired. I think he also is installing something to adjust the amount I heat to each “zone”.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #104

Ref, awesome idea on the split heat vent. Beware that style heater ducting gets pretty hot. It won't melt anything I don't think but it does get pretty hot to the touch. You might feel more comfortable if you put a shield/box around it depending on what you're keeping in that cabinet.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #105

REF "one of the first mods I do in almost any car I drive is install a new system-head unit, speakers, amp and of course, can’t forget the bass!! And lots of sound deadening material....." Will you elaborate on your sound system? I have a LR 2017 Transit.
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #106

Fantastic work, REF! Thanks for documenting it all!

My wife also has an issue with limited heat making it to the CCV pop top. Our Espar B4 is located under the SMB bench seat and shoots hot air toward to front of the van. However, little of this heat finds its way it up into the large CCV pop-top.

I'd thought about installing a Maxxair fan in the CCV poptop, and running it in "circulate mode."

Curious, have you tried this solution?
JT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #107

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Ref, awesome idea on the split heat vent. Beware that style heater ducting gets pretty hot. It won't melt anything I don't think but it does get pretty hot to the touch. You might feel more comfortable if you put a shield/box around it depending on what you're keeping in that cabinet.

Think 86Scotty has a great suggestion. You already have so much thought & effort that has gone into your build, even though I like the upper heater vent I think you'll find the heat generated from that piping would create an oven type environment inside that cabinet.
Not sure what you have planned on the back cabinet panel (side that faces the rear doors), but might consider "venting" the cabinet with one of those 12V Electronics cabinet cooling fans...maybe something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Square-Co...S!-1:rk:2:pf:0
Old 12-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #108
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Hadn’t really considered the heat generated by the ducting....I’ll see about coming up with a solution, might have to build a chase. There is room for one of those fans if need be.
Not really worried about creating a thermocline, if we’re running the heat, it’s cold outside, and even though it’s insulated, it gets chilly up in the pop top area. The duct dumping out the side of the pantry will be below the upper bed platform, should be ok, it also has a directional duct so we can point it down. I will have to avoid putting items in that top pantry shelf that could melt.
Still need to look for a waste gate type of shutoff to go inline of the ductwork that’ll shut off the upper heat flow.
Thanks for all the suggestions, just a little more added work!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Still need to look for a waste gate type of shutoff to go inline of the ductwork that’ll shut off the upper heat flow.
Try these folks, they have hundreds of accessories.

https://www.scanmarineusa.com/wp-con...-prices-sm.pdf

Or one of these, I have used these in the past and love the ability to put heat exactly where I wanted it.

Stoker Tubes
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Try these folks...
This reminds me of something rather frustrating. Everything cool we've ever thought about, done to or needed for a van was done in the marine world a couple centuries ago. All we need to do is find it, it's almost always already made and available from a marine supplier, and usually pretty cheap.

Thanks Arctic!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote