Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2018, 05:56 AM   #131

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
That one will work too^^^
No, SMB had not installed a filter in the original build, I am reusing the original outside city water fill that they installed, with all new interior pex lines. I picked up a Culligan whole house filter and upgraded the filter element
Culligan Filter HF-150A Whole House Standard Duty 3/4" Inlet/Outlet Filtration System, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DH4LN..._qdieCbRGKH1YT
I have yet to pressure test, we’ll see, there’s reports of it being prone to leaks.
And here’s the filter I got
Attachment 24523
Thanks for the info!

Old 12-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #132

you do nice work, REF !
Old 12-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #133
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Did a pressure test for leaks in the water system and with everything being run through the filter, my water flow sucked with the better filter element.
I tried another basic filter with much the same results. I am going to try one more basic filter that only filters sediment, I think a 20 micron, before I give up on the installed filter and pull it altogether.
So before you go installing one of these, know that depending on the filter element you have installed in the housing, you may be reducing your usable pressure.
I may just go back to using the Camco external pass through filter when filling up if I can’t get this to work. Either way, being able to have filtered water of drinking quality from various sources, at least to our standards, through our system isn’t happening.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #134

Garage
Its unfortunate you weren't able to make that work. If its any consolation don't feel you've wasted your time, You saved me from disappointment since I too purchased a "good" filter about 3 months ago with plans to install. I already filter the water when filling the tank, just thought an in-line couldn't hurt.

Personally I've never been confident of any system for "drinking quality" water - even with all the hype showcasing the performance of some of the better quality filters. For us, its convenient to just carry bottled water - on longer trips I feel I have better control with sanitation & quality when we use the three 2.5gal containers stored on the back box.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #135

Garage
Quote:
Did a pressure test for leaks in the water system and with everything being run through the filter, my water flow sucked with the better filter element.
I tried another basic filter with much the same results. I am going to try one more basic filter that only filters sediment, I think a 20 micron, before I give up on the installed filter and pull it altogether.
So before you go installing one of these, know that depending on the filter element you have installed in the housing, you may be reducing your usable pressure.
I may just go back to using the Camco external pass through filter when filling up if I can’t get this to work. Either way, being able to have filtered water of drinking quality from various sources, at least to our standards, through our system isn’t happening.
How bad was the flow? I wouldn't mind somewhat limited flow to conserve water while people are washing hands, teeth brushing etc. Filling water bottles would probably be frustrating though. Those are our main uses of the sink.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #136

Rick, an alternative could be to use a higher pressure pump, or perhaps a physically larger housing and element with the same micron rating, but less pressure drop. From Waterfilter.net

"First, determine the application of the filter. For example, you may be using the filter for drinking water that will not require more than a 2 gpm (gallons per minute) flow rate. On the other hand, you may need a flow rate of over 20 gpm if you are using the filter as a whole house filter.

Next, determine the preferred pressure drop for your application. Although it varies for each application, it is generally advised that consumers keep the pressure drop on a new cartridge below 2 or 3 psi (pounds per square inch). This is sometimes referred to as the clean pressure drop.

Finally, you need to select the filter size that allows for your desired flow rate while maintaining the necessary clean pressure drop.

When in doubt, get a bigger water filter cartridge. If you get a filter that is too small, it will break down too quickly and will not be effective. Longer filters last longer than shorter filters. 20 inch water filters should be able to run at twice the flow rate for the same pressure drop as a 10 inch water filter with the same filtration technology."
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #137
REF

My big fat interior (re)build

Update on the water filter situation. I think I’ve eliminated some issues I was initially having. First, there was a pressure reducing filter screen that we pulled out of the spigot.....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3812.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	24582
Second, I realized that for part of my test I was using a regular sized hose hooked up to the spigot, further reducing pressure. So I was going from 1/2” pex tubing to a full size hose, creating not only low flow but low pressure. I obviously solved this by hooking up a smaller diameter coil hose, one that has been used in the past and was most likely going to be used at the new hookup in the future as well.

Name:	IMG_3813.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	24583
So now came testing the 2 filters I had picked up, one an advanced .5 micron and the other the basic carbon cartridge. The difference in flow between the 2 were pretty drastic, in the end, the basic filter provided adequate flow through the system that was not far off of the results I got when I ran the system with no filter installed. Good to go
Using this one in the end, while not an advanced drinking water filter, will still provide some protection from questionable water sources for general cooking, cleaning, showering and washing up. Better than nothin’, but we’ll still be filling up our 5 gal. jugs with purified water for drinking

Name:	IMG_3814.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	24584
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 12-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #138

Quote:
Using this one in the end, while not an advanced drinking water filter, will still provide some protection from questionable water sources for general cooking, cleaning, showering and washing up. Better than nothin’, but we’ll still be filling up our 5 gal. jugs with purified water for drinking
Attachment 24584
Glad you were able to sort this out to make it "better". I had envisioned figuring a way to strap my Birkey water filter near the faucet to filter drinking water. Worth giving up some valuable real-estate.
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:35 PM   #139
REF

Let there be light.....electrical and lights getting hooked up.
Installed the lower face frame and access door, still have to finish it with some flat stock aluminum along the top and on the right side. I also got the aluminum angle cut and mounted for the rear platform.

Name:	IMG_3820.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	24604

Name:	IMG_3821.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	24605
CCV High Profile Pop Top