Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #11
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
My big fat interior (re)build

Ok, feeding you guys slowly, don’t want to get ahead of myself!
I’ve wanted to delete the propane system in the van for some time and move to a single fuel source(diesel) on top of DC power.
That meant that we would have to find alternatives for our clunky Suburban propane heater and the equally bulky Atwood propane cooktop that’s been taking up too much valuable counter space for far too long.
For heat, we’re adding the smaller Espar D2 diesel heater (vs. the D4) with the high altitude kit. This option has been implemented and tested enough, sometimes with its own series of issues, but I feel that with proper use and maintenance, it’s a great unit, and small!
I had looked into the diesel Wallace stoves, more geared towards the boating and marine industry, but they didn’t seem to have a very positive reputation for use in land based applications, especially at altitude where they had a tendency to soot and clog up fairly easily. Plus I wanted something flush mounted. After much research and talking it over with several up fitters to see what they’re installing, including Matt at Adventure Vehicle Concepts (avcrig.com), who I’ve turned to for our rebuild, I’ve decided on going with a single burner True induction stove. More on that and its power requirements later.....back to the destruction!
Dropped the big pig from underneath, I should have painted this thing pink a long time ago! [emoji241]
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3335.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	23219
Next was to remove as much of the fiberglass insulation remnants, I used blue Nyalox drill attachments, worked pretty well and I managed to eat through one of them during the process, money well spent!

Name:	IMG_3366.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	23215

Name:	IMG_3367.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	23216

Name:	IMG_3368.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	23217

Name:	IMG_3369.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	23218
I didn’t bother using any solvents or goo gone to tackle the spray adhesive used to attach SMB’s fiberglass insulation, it would have turned to mush and been a complete mess. I figured it was better left alone as I was covering it all with Noico(a Dynamat like product from the good ol’ Russian Federation&#129323 before Thinsulate insulation is installed.

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:24 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Ugh!! Luckily the only rust spot to be found....a peculiar spot, just beside the drivers rear wheel well. Although there’s so many holes going through the floor for everything from 12V electrical to plumbing to stereo cables, I’m surprised the whole floor wasn’t rusted out. And look there’s a hole right next to the rust where the rear bench seat used to bolt through, just left wide open....[emoji848]
Attachment 23186
Late to this build thread, hope to add something useful about this rust issue. First question is what was laying on top of that spot if anything at all? I know from experience the OEM-type mats with fibrous backing causes a lot of rust due its absorbing moisture and never evaporating out.

From what I see in the photo that rust is dangerously close to a known problem area for E-Series vans, the underside floor cross member rusts away to the point a major floor repair is necessary. Given the area its located removing the rusty section and replacing it with metal welded in place, properly treated against rust (POR-15) and seam sealed to ensure a long lasting repair.

BTW holes in the floor don't seem to cause much rust---even while driving in very wet road conditions (snow, rain) the underside floor (except for the wheel wells) stays surprisingly dry.

Anyway hope this helps.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
REF

My big fat interior (re)build

JWA- Yes, thanks for the tip. There wasn’t anything under the ply adhered to the floor ribs. I took a good look again underneath the van at that location that was rusted above, there’s only just a bit of surface rust that will be getting a coating of Por15

Speaking of Por15......I had never worked with this stuff before, make sure you wear gloves, if you don’t wipe it off right away, it’s on there! It did go on fairly easy and looks pretty good once it’s dry. Thanks to Ray(1der) for his insight on application as well as being my general counsel for the build....[emoji6]
Look how nice and shiny!

Name:	IMG_3371.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	23220
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 10-10-2018, 12:06 AM   #14

Not a hijack, just a philosophical conversation starter perhaps. What makes an SMB an SMB? Rick (REF) has just pulled the last bit of SMB out of his after having changed the top to CCV a few years ago and modding it to no end. So, is it an SMB? What should we call it? I kind of like DSMB (de-SMB).
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:35 AM   #15
REF

Well, this is true, the last piece of SMB’s build came out with the interior, there is the general bits of the 4X4, but that’s Quigley’s stuff anyway, and even there, the only piece that’s left of that is the transfer case and that’s not really a Quigley part....So, let’s see who can come up with the best acronym. Although it has already been dubbed Frankenmobile in an obvious nod to Frankenstein’s monster, or Frankelmobile (my last name+mobile).
Anyway, here’s all the shops that have been part of the re-build of my now de-Sportsmobile

Boulder off road-suspension, axle
Agile off road-RIP kit
Colorado Camper Van-pop top
Adventure Vehicle Concepts-interior

BACA...no.....CABA....eh

I have one!.......

Colorado (off)Road Adventure Concepts.....otherwise known as......CRAC
Cause it’s so damn addictive!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 10-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #16

That is perfect.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
I have one!.......

Colorado (off)Road Adventure Concepts.....otherwise known as......CRAC
Cause it’s so damn addictive!
I hear crack can keep you up for days, something that might be useful in the next month since there are only 38 days to the start of the Baja 1000
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #18

SMFr: Sport Mobile Forum Rig
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #19
REF

.......Nice
I’ve been plugging away this week to get soundproofing done, finished it today and moved onto insulation. Maybe I can get an endorsement from Noico....Vlad, you picking this up?
The beginning stage

Name:	IMG_3384.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	23223
The finished product

Name:	IMG_3393.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	23224

Name:	IMG_3394.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	23225
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 10-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #20
REF

Finished up the insulation today, can’t tell you how nice this thinsulate is to work with! I believe I am using material that’s rated at 3.8 R-Value, and I was able to double up in certain areas to give me almost 8. It’s rated as an acoustic thermal, so will also aid in sound on top of the Noico sound deadening material I used, should be nice and quite in there!
Here’s the description of the product, there’s a SM400L and a SM600L. Again, I’m pretty sure Matt gets in the 400L version that I used, I’ll have to confirm.

Description.....
3M SM400L sound thermal insulation engineered for vehicles. 60" wide, scrim on one side. 1 linear foot is 5 square feet. Material comes compressed from 3M. The material will expand to 1" . Thinsulate is FMVSS 302 certified (federal motor vehicle safety standard). Delivers more acoustic absorption per unit weight vs. competitive products Helps customers meet mass reduction goals Non-woven sound absorbing fibers create a quieter vehicle environment Hydrophobic fibers resist moisture, mold and mildew Recommend using 3M 90 Adhesive Spray to apply the white fiber side to the Van skin.

I first cut pieces to fit into the indented areas of the van walls, as well as to fit into the areas in between the outer and inner wall that were reachable. I used a general purpose spray adhesive.
First layer, you can see it stuffed into the wall cavity.

Name:	IMG_3401.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	23233

Name:	IMG_3402.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	23234

Name:	IMG_3403.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	23235
Then came the 2nd layer, I did this in one piece to create a seamless layer. I used the little electric rotating cutting blade to cut around the windows and trim the excess, worked great.

Name:	IMG_3404.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	23236

Name:	IMG_3405.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	23237

Name:	IMG_3406.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	23238
Here’s a shot of the thinsulate material.

Name:	IMG_3407.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	23239
Next will be wall panels and floor.....
CCV High Profile Pop Top