Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

My bottom hurts !

That said I am looking to replace our 18 year old driver and passenger caption seats. Was hoping to find a van conversion store where I could test seats our in the Detroit area but that does not seem to be in the cards. We want good quality seats....my bottom hurts on long drives then it progresses down my right let. Was thinking Flexsteel or such. Looks like I can buy van seats on line but that would be unseen. Anyone out there updated their front seats and have words of wisdom. Brands, sources, etc. I have not called SMB north yet to see if they install seats but will do that this week.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #2

Garage
Hi Len,

Have you always had pain when driving your van? The reason I ask is because when I bought my van I had the same problems. After a long drive, my arse would start to ache, and then my left leg would follow suite. I noticed that the driver's side cushion was very much degraded compared to the passenger's side and I decided to have the cushion replaced at an upholstery shop here in San Diego. It made a HUGE difference in my comfort on long trips. I no longer get uncomfortable, and my leg doesn't ache at all. It might be possible for you to have your present seats modified with a custom profile. The fact that you mentioned the Detroit area means that you have access to a TON of upholstery places. I understand that it would probably be easier just to be able to swap them with a newer set of proven, comfortable seats though. Either way, good luck!

capn
capnkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #3

Len, a friend of mine was going to add second row captain's chairs to his Chevy in place of the bench and I helped him look awhile back. Factory take outs for GM vans are plentiful online and on Ebay. If you don't want to spend a lot you could probably find a set that would mount right up and be factory fresh, at least. They were only a couple hundred each if I remember right.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #4

Garage
I have a friend that had a similar mission years ago (for a completely different type of vehicle). As you are encountering now we were unable to find anyone that offered any type of variety to "test"....and He didnt want to purchase something He had not been able to physically sit in.
We ended out going to CarMax and climbed through a bunch vehicles of different Makes, Models, and a variety of Years. When he finally settled on two styles he felt he would be happy with, the search began (On-line & numerous Salvage yards that were reasonably close). He did end out buying a set through Craig's List.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #5

Maybe give MG up at Expovans a call about the Scheel Mann seats, they are supposed to be amazing.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
What about the Toyota Sienna seats a few have gone with? Might need adapters?

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #7

I have recently purchased OEM seat bottom cushions for my Ford, I think they were about 80 each, easy to install, made a difference and easy enough to try compared to replacing the whole seat.
FXRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #8

Interesting, where did you source them?
Old 08-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #9

I've seen demo seats for over the road trucks in some truck repair/part shops. Most have an air ride base though, so not sure how adaptable the seat would be to a van. Might be worth a check.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
Interesting, where did you source them?
Sunrise Ford in Fontana
FXRQ is offline   Reply With Quote