Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #41

Re: My solar installation project...

Where did you find that in floor battery box??

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
Where did you find that in floor battery box??
SMB installs them, I believe. I wonder if they will sell them separately?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #43

Yep, they came with the van. I can't seem to find anything like them online. I wonder if SMB bought them or made them?

I'm happy to say that this project is finished. No water leaks. Got the cabinet and ceiling reinstalled today. Only thing left to do is reinstall the cabinet doors and vacuum the carpet...and install the remote meter when it arrives, of course. Actually, I'll hold off on vacuuming until that's in. Might use a hole saw and flush mount it instead of using the mounting bezel thing.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #44

I was looking at those flexible panels on Renogy's site. They say "While this panel may be damaged by sharp objects or scraping, there is no risk of shattering or cracking." From what you have seen, do they feel robust enough for use on a regular (non-4x4) SMB, compared with regular glass panels?

Also, any idea if they are as efficient as the normal panels? I do like the idea of lighter weight, to be sure. Regular Renogy 100w panels are 16.5 pounds vs. the flexible at 4 pounds. With two panels, that's 29 less pounds on the roof.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:04 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I was looking at those flexible panels on Renogy's site. They say "While this panel may be damaged by sharp objects or scraping, there is no risk of shattering or cracking." From what you have seen, do they feel robust enough for use on a regular (non-4x4) SMB, compared with regular glass panels?

Also, any idea if they are as efficient as the normal panels? I do like the idea of lighter weight, to be sure. Regular Renogy 100w panels are 16.5 pounds vs. the flexible at 4 pounds. With two panels, that's 29 less pounds on the roof.
They are actually far more rugged (or should I say rigid?) than I thought they would be. I was expecting something more flimsy. I don't have anything to back it up, but I have read that they are slightly less efficient than glass mono panels, but I don't really have any idea. I'm sure if you dig through the specs on Renogy's site you could get a better idea. As far as damage from scrapes, etc. I hope I never find out. Now that they're up there, I do look out for trees more than I used to. Not sure how fragile the glass panels are, but these will still work with a few scratches here and there. Not "shattering" sure sounds good.

I went flexible because they conform to the curve of my high top and keep the height down. With the bow in my roof, I'm not sure rigid panels would have even worked with the supplied mounts. Either way, I was already at about 8-1/2 feet high and I didn't want to add any more to that. If I had a PH top, I'd do it for the same reasons plus the fact that they only weigh four pounds each. Then again, Rallypanam has 3 rigid 100w panels on his PH top and he doesn't seem to have any problems.

The weight difference is substantial. No doubt about that. Installation was almost too easy.

Just got the meter installed today - just in time to leave for camping tomorrow. Can't seem to post the pic but it's the latest one in my gallery. Don't mind the electrical tape...just covering up the LED's that cannot be turned off.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #46

I think the efficiency of the flexible panels is getting closer to that of glass panels, these are monocrystalline. As technologies change this is becoming less of a issue

There was one supplier of flexible panels that was showing some cupping , do to high temperatures. I believe they increased the covering over the cells, but I have not heard any long time on if that fixed the issues.

The other negative would be heat build up, not only does temperature have a direct impact on output of the panels, a framed panel has somewhat built in ventilation compared to a flexible panel, the other issue is the transfer of that heat through the actual RV, increasing overall inside temps.

The warranty of flexible panels in most cases is less than that of rigid panels.

So with everything, there are pluses and minuses, it looks like this is a pretty good fit for your van.
Great job on the install.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
I think the efficiency of the flexible panels is getting closer to that of glass panels, these are monocrystalline. As technologies change this is becoming less of a issue

There was one supplier of flexible panels that was showing some cupping , do to high temperatures. I believe they increased the covering over the cells, but I have not heard any long time on if that fixed the issues.

The other negative would be heat build up, not only does temperature have a direct impact on output of the panels, a framed panel has somewhat built in ventilation compared to a flexible panel, the other issue is the transfer of that heat through the actual RV, increasing overall inside temps.

The warranty of flexible panels in most cases is less than that of rigid panels.

So with everything, there are pluses and minuses, it looks like this is a pretty good fit for your van.
Great job on the install.

-greg
Thankfully, Renogy has the same warranty on their rigid and flexible panels - five years. Definitely a good fit for us. No regrets here
Old 05-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #48

Tried it all out for the first time this weekend, obviously. The remote meter records the minimum and maximum amps, among other things. At some point this weekend the two panels put out 11.9 amps. I'm quite happy with that. And they're both still attached to the roof - very happy with that!
Old 05-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #49

Wow! Very nice. The most I've gotten out of my 100 watt Renogy is about 4.75 or so, which I'm still pretty happy with. I'd have another panel if I can figure out the real estate problem.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote