Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2023, 08:04 AM   #1

Need Pop Top help please! Atlanta / Macon area

Hi All, I am (remotely) helping a forum member deal w an EB50 SMB Pop top roof rust issue that may require removing the pop top from the rig to correct it properly. This is a rig he and his wife want to keep for a long time.

Part of the rust is certainly under the canvas attachment and the concern is it may also be under the lower rails, other rust is on the typical corners. The rest of this 2002 7.3 van is beautiful, and rust free. He has owned this for about a year and half, so obviously this condition was present but not readily visible when he bought it and the prior owner made no mention of this when sold. "Protective" tape - that is a multi page thread in itself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6509.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	47908 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6439.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	47909

All of the immaculate interior is still completely installed, nothing has been removed. You can imagine the heartbreak when he went to replace the protective tape and discovered what was under it. Fortunately, the van lives in a garage.

Questions:
How much of the typical EB50 cabinets / upholstery needs to be removed, if at all, to get to the bolts/ nuts/ washers securing the lifting rails to the stock roof?

How do we get this roof off with minimal removal / disassembly of the interior?

I know the rails have multiple bolt/washer/nut locations along the rail from each corner. I have looked over a bunch of build threads. I have found pics of the rails installed on a unbuilt interior. All helpful when an interior is already out and everything is visible.

Thanks for any help and guidance!

PS: Any knowledgeable member in the Atlanta/Macon willing help - please let me know! We are looking for a highly reputable and qualified body shop / person to do the repair / restoration of the metal roof.

Old 07-29-2023, 07:55 AM   #2

Garage
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ers-23986.html

I had to remove lots of screws from the upholstery around where pop top comes down. I could then remove the fabric covered plywood front and back.
The back was difficult. Once you get all this open you can unscrew the plywood holding the fabric to the metalwork.
Old 07-29-2023, 12:33 PM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
From what I recall, at least on mine, there was just plywood, fabric and screws covering everything up, just have to start opening up the layers to access lift mechanisms.
Depends on the cabinet layout, but yes, most likely to remove the top completely, you would have to access bolts around the perimeter of the roof, you’d have to remove cabinets, which in itself is a risky endeavor depending on their condition.
If possible, I’d suggest popping the top and just removing the canvas to have the repair to the rust done, leave the pop top mechanisms in place. Maybe a good time to get some new canvas installed or at least the old one cleaned up or repaired.

Have you talked to Derek or the guys at CCV about this, they’ve removed a few as you know.
As always, good of you to try to help out
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 07:32 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
PS: Any knowledgeable member in the Atlanta/Macon willing help - please let me know! We are looking for a highly reputable and qualified body shop / person to do the repair / restoration of the metal roof.
I have a brother that lives in Atlanta, so I know its only about 3.5 hrs (about 200 miles) from Ashville NC... He may consider reaching out to Chris at U-Joint to see if he would/could recommend someone in his vicinity.
It's that or heading 9hrs to Huntington, Indiana assuming Sportsmobile would take on the project.
Admittedly, it sounds burdensome to travel either distance, but personally I just wouldn't feel comfortable (or confident) having someone else tackle the project when they're dealing with removing portions of a pop-top for the first time.
Just suggestions.