Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #11

Also, I am moving my business to a new shop location. I LOVE the van. I've almost always had 3/4 or 1 ton trucks, and a trailer or two, but a van with an open back is super awesome for moving. I'll just have to keep that on the down low for all my friends. Heh.

greggearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:58 PM   #12

Garage
Thats definitely something I learned about the van asap. When you think about moving stuff or hauling you always instantly think of a truck, but these vans hold more than my short bed f250 ever did. I can now carry 10' 2x4s and not even have to put a flag on them!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #13

I had a friend recommend a name for the van, and I agree. "Vanzig."

I also bought a front mat from AutoAccessoriesGarage.com - Auto Accessories, Car & Truck Accessories, Aftermarket Performance Parts whom I have had great service with in the past. This hexomat I bought doesn't fit well and doesn't stay in place. Too bad.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 AM   #14

Is it designed for the newer vans? It's almost impossible to find any mats anymore for the 96 back vans. The 97 up Highlands work really well and fit the driver's side pretty good but the passenger is a little off. You can trim it, however.

Auto Floor Mats All Weather - Car Truck SUV - Black Highland Floor Mats 46042

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #15

Thanks - those look good, and inexpensive, but I think I'll try these. I cut it for the t-case shifter, so really can't return it. We'll see how they do in the snow, that's my biggest concern. I do like how this one is one piece and covers the aisle between the seats, which is a high traffic area for me with a 5yo in the bench behind me.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #16

www.mgmetalworks.com/hinge.pdf

For reference if needed.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #17

Awesome. Thank you.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #18

Well, the rear axle had small - 1/4" spacers on the drums, so I removed those, and the sliding door *barely* goes back without touching the tires, so I lucked out there.

The fronts rubbed the fender liner and bottom rear of the fender well, so I did some small adjustments with a hammer and it is totally fine for street driving. Probably rub on trail flexing. I'll cut it and fold it at some point, but since I use it every day and have so many other projects, it is fine for now. Getting ready for a run to California and back to tow a car home. Would be great to build some storage and a bed platform in before then....
Old 04-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #19

Long overdue for an update. I've mostly just been using it everyday, which is great. Getting ready for a trip to Cali and back towing cars, did a water pump and idlers and belt, and then noticed a coolant leak. Looked like a head bolt, so removed, sealed and reinstalled, and it was worse. Much worse. Then noticed the hairline crack above the bolt. Sigh.

I could have located a used head, taken them to a machine shop to have them both rebuilt etc. but likely would have cost around $500. So I bought new aluminum big valve heads that flow more. Copies of Edelbrocks, apparently. We'll see how they work, but the additional power will be welcome. Soon I'll upgrade the intake manifold to get some more, but just want it running again right now!!

I did buy a formed plastic interior panel setup from a Cargo van, and installed it with some bubble insulation behind it. Also caulked some of the metal panels so that they wouldn't vibrate with the new small sub I installed. Built a few wooden boxes on the sides to store my gear, but haven't built the fold down beds yet - engine work is taking all my time.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #20

Realized I didn't post pics of the new wheels and tires.