Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #31

Aluminum heads with 1.6 Roller Rockers installed.

greggearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #32

Old 08-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #33

Here is the drivers side. You can see the coil that mounts on two tall studs, and used to have a bracket that went down to an exhaust manifold stud. With the smaller, different bolts for the headers, I bent the bracket to go to a valve cover stud.

All the little things that add up to take all the time that no one realizes until you are actually doing it!

Old 08-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #34

Oh, and here are some older interior shots with the dynamat style sound deadening, the foam over that, and then I used the foil bubble wrap and the plastic panels. It was a lot quieter than previous - a really good upgrade. It's no Mercedes or Lexus, but for the time and cost involved, really makes a difference.

I've also build some wooden side tool boxes and added some tie-downs in the rear to keep parts and gear from moving around. Pics soon.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #35

It's great to see someone building up a motor, few do. I've given a lot of thought to working mine over since it pretty low on power (5.4). I've also thought about dropping in a V10, which may be less expensive in the long run. Anyway, it will be nice to see how it works out for you power wise.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #36

Thanks. I'm surprised how much of an increase in power is available (according to the interwebs!) while keeping the valvetrain moderate and not making it a high rpm race engine.

Time will tell, if my selection of parts works out, but the aftermarket is rife with lots of potential (and lots of bad combinations).

If I knew I was going to tow a lot more, and had planned out more in advance, I would likely consider a 7.3 powerstroke or even a 5.9 Cummins, but those really ramp up the cost and trickle down of other mods needed to support them.

I'll be happy if I get 50 more hp and maintain the stock reliability. More than that I'll consider gravy.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #37

Garage
Photos look great. Some pretty badass MacGyver'ing of the supposedly non-compatible intake manifold ya pulled off there. Is there enough clearance for it to not hit the doghouse if the van body moves relative to the frame? (Or if the engine shifts on its mounts under load?)

Separately:
Since you're pursuing reliable and real-world-usable performance improvements, have you looked into doing an electric fan swap? (Removing the stock, water-pump mounted clutch fan in favor of electrical-thermsostat-actuated fans?)

A number of mechanics I've talked with have recommended that as a boost to the 5.8's performance, and to keep the engine running more reliably cooler, especially on steep hills. Sounds like the clutch fan can suck a significant amount of horsepower when it kicks in (and at lower RPM's...under load...at lower speeds, can be deficient in the amount of airflow it draws.)
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #38

We'll see on the doghouse clearance - I expect it will be close, but if it hits, and I can't clearance something, I can add a bump to the doghouse or something. nothing that can't be worked around, IMO.

I will gladly remove the mechanical fan and have heard the same thing from many hot rodders over the years, but my goal now is to get it back together and prove it out. I have a number of later projects if it holds together well.

I'm now planning on doing a free'er air intake kit with a cone filter to get rid of the tiny air filter housing an intake tube - but we'll see if it runs, first!
Old 09-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #39

It runs!!!!

I need to reinstall the accessories and flush the cooling system before connecting it back up, but I couldn't get it started after getting it back together. I assumed a sensor, wire, something I missed, but turned out to be no fuel. I cycled the pump with the key (on/off/on/off) about 10 times, thought that would be enough, but no. I sprayed brake cleaner in the intake to see if it was fuel or spark, and it started right up. I shut it off, and started it again, and ran it for about 5 sec. Did again a bit later, to be sure it wasn't the brake fluid anymore.

Now to hook everything else up and take it for a drive!!!
Old 09-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #40

Well, I've had a chance to drive it a handful of miles. So far, so good. It is definitely more powerful. It is more responsive and pulls harder for sure.

I still need to replace the restrictive stock exhaust as well as the air box setup, but I wanted to make sure everything worked, first. SOOO glad to have my van back. Forgot how much I love this thing. It rocks. I'll update after intake and exhaust, and when I get the rear cargo boxes and bed done.