Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2015, 05:11 AM   #11

Re: No Dash Lights No Crank

Neighbors friends car was acting like yours in the driveway. Key would turn, no lights and could not move shifter to put into neutral....it was stuck in park.
Tried to jump with my truck.....after 30 minutes nothing
Tried to use my antigravity jump pack......nothing
Called tow truck. He tried to ump with his truck....nothing
Used his jump pack that he said was almost dead, commenting over and over that there is no way this will work but it is a last resort.....fired right up and everything worked.

hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:32 AM   #12

Could be a bad ground somewhere. Try checking voltage at other locations (eg. fuse box) not just the battery.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Weird the engine wouldn't jump off the jump stud. At least on my van the battery cable goes to the starter so you might take a look at that connection point as well.
Definately look at all the connections, but I've had a lot of trouble with jumper cables. Even high end new ones. Not long ago my neighbor need some and I gave him a set I had never used. He connected them and ran the other truck for at least 15 minutes with no luck. It wasn't until he found another older set that he finally got it started. Another time, jumper cables wouldn't start the other vehicle, but when the tow truck driver arrived his little portable unit did. The very small contact area that results from the teeth on the clamp may be part of the reason, but I've had this happen several times with different sets. Doesn't make sense to me.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Oh I here ya AT. I guess what bothers me is on all the diesels I've used at work (and we're hard on the batteries) that usually the second battery will allow the engine to show a labored attempt to crank. It rare when both batteries go at once and the only times I see a dead nothing start situation is if the vehicle has sat for a long time (no charge to the batteries) or there is a bad connection. My winch on my work truck failed me in the field once doing the same nothingness and after calling for a tow, 2 pissed off hours later back at the shop I pulled the frame ground and tightened it down...bam, it started working Connection looked fine...no corrosion, and was tight so sometimes you just got to follow it all out and check all the connection even though they look fine. I always do what's easiest right off the bat cause I'm lazy and the headlight trick Herb mentioned is usually the first thing. Pulling the batteries on side rail mounts is a PITA but hey it should be done on an annual basis anyway...I just pay people to do it these days

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
... I always do what's easiest right off the bat cause I'm lazy and the headlight trick Herb mentioned is usually the first thing...
I think I was just called lazy by association.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #16

I had some spare time today.
I took the batteries to napa and they tested them. They said that they are fine. Heres what the terminals look like,

All of them are pretty dented looking like this. They are hard to open up but not super corroded.

Heres the positive cable near the terminal

And the negative cable,

Its hard to tell if that green is corrosion or green wires.

I didnt have time to buy a volt meter to look at the fuses but heres a photo of the fuse box.

And with the diagram,
Old 10-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #17

Green=corroded copper. It's probably worse inside the swage where you can't see.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #18

Since i got the van the lights on the dash for the gauges have been dim and at night i cant really see what is going on with them. I always just assumed that the bulb was dim or out. Coukd this be related to a bad cable?
Old 10-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixCardCharlie
Since i got the van the lights on the dash for the gauges have been dim and at night i cant really see what is going on with them. I always just assumed that the bulb was dim or out. Coukd this be related to a bad cable?
Probably not. Only because your FICM would have surely taken a dump if your voltage were low enough to dim the dash lights.

You're aware the headlight know is also a dash light dimmer? Counterclockwise = brighter. When it clicks, that also turns on the courtesy lights.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #20

Yeah its too dim even when turned all the way up