Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #1

Question Paint Suggestions for Solar and Awning Brackets

I have a bit of paint chipping off the brackets that hold up the awning as well as the solar panel. Also, looks like a bit of rust is developing in those spots.

My thought is to scrape off any loose paint, sand off any rust and re-paint.

Anyone done anything similar and have any hints or tips?

Any suggestions on a paint brand/type?

I'm thinking of something like this: https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP671-Sat.../dp/B000CPAVI4

Thanks!

crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #2

Personally I use powdercoat if I want the paint to last. Rattle can is good for touch ups IMO.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #3

Agreed with simplesez, but taking it all apart and powdercoating it may be more than you want to do. Not cheap either. I just use cheap rattle can on roof racks. They are right out there in the sun and always made of cheaper metal and cheaper factory paint than anything else on your rig, unless you have an Aluminess rack or similar. They're built cheap to be light. My strategy is just to touch them up with rattle can every few months.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #4

The awning brackets look simple enough to remove, is it as easy as it looks? These were installed by SMB. Do they install some sort of thread into the van body that the bracket bolt goes into? I'd hate to remove them and not be able to get them back on for some reason.
crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #5

I think SMB used Rivnuts into the wall of the body on theirs. Should be obvious to you if they did, one per bracket right where you can see it below the rain gutter. I have no idea if rivnuts come apart easily, though. I've never used one.........yet.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote