Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2018, 11:54 PM   #31
Gone Traveling

Wow.. that was some job you did! And I was really interested in seeing what the roof looked like above the interior ceiling... i’m not asking this in a rude way, but was your canvas always that wrinkled and uneven/crooked, before you separated it from the ceiling? Or was putting it all back up into place what caused that? I ask because mine is brand new, and it is so crooked and wrinkled that I can’t unzip some of the windows without lowering the top at least a few inches...
But again, kudos on tackling that job!!

VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #32

I don't think anything chaged in how crooked anything is. I have never had a problem with windows opening or anything like that. I don't generally want it to be completely taught in the raised position, as it moves in the wind, sometimes tilts slightly if not completely level. To be honest I have never few it as a problem.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #33
Gone Traveling

Scalf77, Thanks for the insight!
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:55 PM   #34

I'm about to start the process of redoing the headliner and I have a couple quick questions.

Did you remove the old headliner entirely and then reattach the sides or did you remove the headliner in pieces and reattach the sides as you went?

Did you notice any wood rot where the bolts pass through? I'm worried mine might be a little bit. If so, any tips for repairing that?

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I'm about to start the process of redoing the headliner and I have a couple quick questions.

Did you remove the old headliner entirely and then reattach the sides or did you remove the headliner in pieces and reattach the sides as you went?
I removed the old headliner completely, used it as template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Did you notice any wood rot where the bolts pass through? I'm worried mine might be a little bit. If so, any tips for repairing that?
Yes, I did in the front holes. I actually removed rot with dremel tool, and filled with epoxy. I also reinforced the bottom with resin and cloth.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #36

Thanks for the response Greg! That was my plan as well so it's good to hear it works.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #37

Derek: If you are going to go through the aggravation of removing the canvas when removing the headliner, consider making plywood strips to re-attach the canvas. This makes headliner activities (like running solar wires, etc) much easier later.

Here's my build thread; headliner activities start at post #18.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...p-10808-2.html

...and one other thing.....if I was doing the headliner again I would do it like Greg did in this thread.....have one seam under one of the padded blocks on the ceiling....this hides much of the seam.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Derek: If you are going to go through the aggravation of removing the canvas when removing the headliner, consider making plywood strips to re-attach the canvas. This makes headliner activities (like running solar wires, etc) much easier later.
Absolutely! The strips seem like a huge improvement and absolutely what I'll do. I've read your build thread a few times though now. It seems like one of the few that really documented installing the roof which I've just completed. I used the corner brackets like you did, so thanks for that as well. Now that the swap is done I'm looking at improvements and repairs.