Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #21

Re: Penthouse Install - Fresno SMB (not optimal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
As others have mentioned, check out the posts on using a pickup bed load retainer to get it up.
Speaking of which, can anyone help me to find any of these threads? I've been searching, but it seems to be one of those searches wherein all the terms (that come to my mind) also are common for other topics (lift, truck, load, bar, ph, top, etc.), and I either get no results or I get 5,000 threads about lifted vans, trucks, etc.) I looked up the ratchet bars themselves online, so I see how they work; but I would like to read about (or hear from) anyone who has used one for help in raising the PH top. I'm wondering if the ratchet is effective used in this way. If so, looks pretty slick.

Thanks,
Viva
Look up about 3 posts.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #22

Found it here, on page two of one of the threads linked above - thanks!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6625&start=15

"macmcintire" bought one (ratcheting cargo bar), used it, and reported success back to the forum. Funny thing is that I had read that thread earlier this summer but somehow this idea had just slipped right by me.

Thanks again,
Viva
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #23

Could you figure out a way to use electric slide in camper style jacks?
http://www.towshop.com/store/pc/viewCat ... tegory=129

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #24

Thanks for all the tips and ideas.

It appears I'm going to have to make the manual top work. It also appears to be getting easier to move but still not my first choice.

The other issue I have is the top always comes down to one side. Far enough that it lands on the rain gutter on one side and the other is sitting up on the van top radius. While at SMB and getting a demo I pointed out that it was not coming down straight. Salesperson responded with 'i've heard of people being parked on slopes and having it happen. it's totally normal'. I responded with 'the ground is flat'. Just shrugs from the guy. Basically they loosened the latches and shoved it to one side which is what I'm having to do now. It's utter bullshit this thing doesn't line up. I think I'm going to raise the top and try bending/pushing the entire thing to one side. Any other tips/tricks to get it to line up better?

Oh, and a bunch of the screws on the side head liner thing are overdriven and the felt is twisted around the screws. That and one other screw apparently wasn't into anything as it's now hanging 1/2 way out. Fortunately the guys at RVI are going to rip out and redo all the finish work they did. I'm also going to Dynamat over the melamine 'headliner' and add a regular heavy felt headliner. Last, the 2 big fluros they installed in the top are going to be binned and replaced with LEDs.
JimHefner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #25

my van is 17 years old... had all-of-the-above. One might think that quality had improved over the biggest part of two DECADES of development. I read the same dang complaints over and over. I pulled all of the SMB stuff out of the under-the-ph part of the van and put in my own ideas. Got the top working my way after some foul language, and focused thought. Me and my "crew" will be upgrading the top in the next year to my own satisfaction... it'll be something better than what you and I and all of the others have been struggling with for 17 years.

That rant is over, and so should yours be over. The market that keeps a waiting list for any product does not demand change. The folks at SMB can't be expected to do anything different if the phone is ringing off the hook 24/7 with orders.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #26

Penthouse Install - Fresno SMB (not optimal)

I wiggle side to side when pulling it down. Almost always requires me going outside the van and needing a lil shove to one side still.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

Sorry but even the electric top does the same. I usually have to go outside and push it over or grab the bars inside and pull it to get the top to land in the same spot each time before it contacts the roof. Nature of the beast.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #28

I guess 'manual guidance' is what's necessary. Thanks for the info. It's very helpful.
JimHefner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHefner
Thanks for all the tips and ideas.

It appears I'm going to have to make the manual top work. It also appears to be getting easier to move but still not my first choice.
There used to be three PH options:
a) Built in electric
b) manual
c) manual with an optional electric jack. This was a separate device that plugged into a cigarette lighter.

You might want to talk to Fresno and ask if they still offer it.

David
Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #30

No, they don't still offer the electrical jack which plugged into the cigarette lighter. It didn't sell that well and was discontinued when they started offering the electric penthouse option. We had one, used it only a few times, and sold it.

As for the top coming down straight, I've only had minor problems both when we had the manual top and now with the electric top. Those problems were only when we weren't parked level side to side. All it took was to wiggle the bed just before it reached the rails to get things straight. A suggestion...lower the rear edge of the bed onto the rails before you start lowering the penthouse while keeping the front end attached to the penthouse...that will help guide the top down.