Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #21

Re: Plasti-dip anyone??

I'm planning on shooting my entire van Orange plasti dip. I can't decide if I want orange or Green so I figure I'll try it orange first and see.

It's about $300 to paint an entire vehicle, takes about a day including prep (which is just a bath and taping off the windows/radiator/calipers). The part I like is you can just peel it off no harm no foul.

I have an extended passenger wagon with a mile of windows but I don't want my kite van broken into all the time, so I'm just gonna plastidip the passenger windows the same color as the body.

The other part I like is that the employees that will be driving it are going to be constantly scratching it up with kitegear bags etc, so I love that no matter what happens, you just peel off the scratched panels of paint, and reshoot it. What could be easier? Amazing.

The videos on this stuff are amazing on youtube.

smshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #22

Garage

Hi John (jwinterstellar)

Can you give some details on the towing lugs for your stock bumper? Did you do anything similar on the rear? Looks great BTW.

Matt
dar636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #23
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by smshield
I'm planning on shooting my entire van Orange plasti dip. I can't decide if I want orange or Green so I figure I'll try it orange first and see.

It's about $300 to paint an entire vehicle, takes about a day including prep (which is just a bath and taping off the windows/radiator/calipers). The part I like is you can just peel it off no harm no foul.

I have an extended passenger wagon with a mile of windows but I don't want my kite van broken into all the time, so I'm just gonna plastidip the passenger windows the same color as the body.

The other part I like is that the employees that will be driving it are going to be constantly scratching it up with kitegear bags etc, so I love that no matter what happens, you just peel off the scratched panels of paint, and reshoot it. What could be easier? Amazing.

The videos on this stuff are amazing on youtube.
I'm considering the PlastiDip Tan for the whole van after testing it out on my Landcruiser..holding up great to snow, dirt, water..
Working great on the chrome wheels.. Preserves it actually..
Recommendation is lots of light coats initially, don't pile it on..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #24

Yeah, I picked up my first can tonight of black from Hoe Depot. Gonna try it out on my door handles and rear quarter panels on my Wrangler. They are rusted up a bit due to general wear and tear (2000 model). I'll try to take some pics.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #25

I plasti-dipped my wheels black on the SMB. Looks great and is holding up just fine. $25 for plasti dip and $52 for black lug nuts.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #26

Yup. Just dipped my bumpers and wheels and KC lights. Damn this stuff is amazing.

I put a thread up under home builds "kite van" with pics of dippin goodness.

I'm going to do my doghouse and console dipped black. I think it will really update the interior. Every van I see has scuffs on the doghouse that look like crud. No reason not to shoot them with dip.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #27

I'm putting up a bunch of pics of plastidipping I did to my van this weekend. I can tell you there is no texture at all unless you shoot it with cold cans. You need to put the cans in a bucket of hot (hot as the kitchen sink can get it, but not boiling) water.

If you're shooting above 80 degrees, there's no texture. If it's under 80 degrees, you need the cans to come right out of the bucket then start shooting. As soon as the can doesn't "feel" warm to the touch, drop it back in the bucket to warm back up and start shooting with another hot one.

That's the trick to getting powdercoat and better than powdercoat finishes. Other than that it couldn't possibly be an easier product to use. I paint A LOT of rattle can stuff and I've never worked with anything so forgiving. It's damned near as tough as rhino liner, you can pull it off any time you want, and it weighs almost nothing. If you do a complete full car paintjob with dip, then pull it off, that product weights a little over a pound. Not like heavy rhino liner/sound deadener. I love it

Here are some teasers:

Front Bumper:

Rear plate all stained up and handle faded:

Ahh. Much better. Not bad for a 2000 model. Looks new.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #28
Site Team

Bringing this thread back as I contemplate options for the hood of my Bronco (even though I haven't fixed the fiberglass yet).

Anyone who's plastidip'd, how has it held up? Right now I'm torn between satin black paint and plastidip.

Herb
Old 09-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Bringing this thread back as I contemplate options for the hood of my Bronco (even though I haven't fixed the fiberglass yet).

Anyone who's plastidip'd, how has it held up? Right now I'm torn between satin black paint and plastidip.

Herb
Held up is a relative term. I think it holds up pretty good though. I've used it on tons of stuff and will continue, but it has definite drawbacks. It peels and it isn't as tough as paint. I think the above comment about 'nearly as tough as bedliner' was a little bit of a stretch. If you know you want it black forever just shoot it black. Spray paint is cheaper.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #30

Garage
^^^ all that. if you want it black, paint it black. will last and look better way longer.

i use plasti dip on nice wheels that we use for winter. protects from elements and can easily be washed off in spring with a high pressure washer. other than that, its for rich people that like to change the color of their car every few weeks.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote