Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #1

Plasti-dip anyone??

I am looking into plasti-dipping my grille black. It works for grilles and emblems. Anyone have experience in this?

Old 09-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #2

Re: Plasti-dip anyone??

I've seen on a car forum where guys are plasti-dipping entire roofs of cars. I can't imagine why since it would be black, but they do. It would probably work. I've been meaning to investigate this new fangled stuff. Seems like it would be good for all sorts of things.
I'm curious how easily it will peel off, how thick it is, and how durable.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #3

used it on tool handles and was not impressed. very easy to peel off after getting cut/scraped.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #4

I've had good results using it to coat hard drive magnets that I use to secure my bug screens to the outside of my van. The magnets are protected for corrosion and the rubber protects the paint. I use a smal lanyard looped in the screw hole of the magnet which is partially coated as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Its not the tool dip stuff is it?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #6

I'm intrigued, because I've had a fetish for flat-blacking my cars since way before it was cool.

It seems Plasti-Dipping your car (or at least your rims) is a quite a fad right now. See http://www.dipyourcar.com/.

So reading up on it now, I see that Plasti-Dip's main feature is that it peels off easily. That's the virtue for those who want their car to acquire a new look that can be removed later without a trace. But for me, I suspect anything I Plasti-Dip would get scratched off the first time I leave pavement onto a narrow logging road. I'd stick with flat-black paint.

-- Geoff
Old 09-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #7

Rhino lining entire vehicles was popular for awhile. I'll never forget seeing an entire 1920s tractor that was Rhino lined 100% (everything but the headlights and rubber tires)... it was revolting on several levels.

Then there is Herculiner, the flat black of offroad texturized painting. I still have pieces of my old XJ still that are Herculined, and it's (in my opinion) a step up in durability from that other "paint over anything" solution Rustoleum.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
I'm intrigued, because I've had a fetish for flat-blacking my cars since way before it was cool.

It seems Plasti-Dipping your car (or at least your rims) is a quite a fad right now. See http://www.dipyourcar.com/.

So reading up on it now, I see that Plasti-Dip's main feature is that it peels off easily. That's the virtue for those who want their car to acquire a new look that can be removed later without a trace. But for me, I suspect anything I Plasti-Dip would get scratched off the first time I leave pavement onto a narrow logging road. I'd stick with flat-black paint.

-- Geoff
I bought from dipyourcar.com.. good stuff. Works great on emblems.

Havent touched up the van yet but I did get the pre-mixed (with the proper thinner) from him. It sprays from a wagner or airbrush just fine.. If you get it from HDepot, it's rather thick and it has to be thin out properly. His pre-mix is right on.

If you make a mistake, wait for it to dry and peel it off and clean and start over. Easy to work with. Usually 2-4 coats are plenty, depends on how thick you want it to be.. for Emblems, 3 is enough. It's not as durable obviously as real paint but otherwise, it's easy to work with and looks good and easy to touch up.

I'm trying out the cammo colors too (Tan, Green, Dark Green, Black) and also the new Grey.
They also have the clear, and gloss version of plasti dip.

His videos on youtube explains the process..

Did the emblems on the AMG and VOLT and gonna do the hood on the old 'Cruiser (hood) before the o'Van..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #9

Re: Re: Plasti-dip anyone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Its not the tool dip stuff is it?
Yep, sure is.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #10

I've had success and failure with Plasti-Dip. As most things, I think it's all in the preparation. When I dip the Door Talons, the slight texture of the powder coat and clean surface makes for a stellar bond. I also have some tools that I dipped years ago and they're still in good condition. On the other hand, I've had some fail in just a few weeks.

I still have the stock grill on my van but one of the first things I did after getting it was to paint the grill back. It was chrome, so I scuffed it up, sprayed it with a bonding agent and then coated it with a "bumper paint". I thought this would hold up until I got a billet grill. After the next road trip it was already chipped up. The billet grill being low on the list of things to spend $ on, I tried it again. But this time I put a coat of paintable rubberized undercoating on first. Then topped it with "bumper paint". This was 4 years ago and as you can see, other then a minor chip here and there it still looks quite good.

As you can see, I still haven't gotten that billet grill.
The little cushion that the undercoating provides is just enough to keep it from chipping. I've done this to much of the underneath of my van and it has greatly decreased the chipping that lead to rust.
I'm sure that the Plasti-Dip will work as well, maybe better. But I only spent $15 to do mine.
Cheers,
John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote