Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2018, 12:56 PM   #1

Propane issues

Not long ago, my stove quit working, and I assumed I had run out of propane, but when I went to fill it a couple days later, it turned out to be full, and the stove began working again. Further diagnosis lead me to discover that the regulator had this nasty, smelly, oil substance dripping out of it. I replaced the regulator and the stove and furnace are working fine, with the odd exception of the stove flame burning orange now. This is normally a sign of incomplete combustion (think carbon monoxide ) This makes me wonder, what the hell is that stuff that clogged my regulator and will it clog my new regulator or heater? Research (mostly Google) says Propane can come with contaminates such as particulates (microscopic rocks) and other stuff like some type of oil, but it must be pretty uncommon as there is almost no info on this. The stuff on the regulator smelled just like the smell they put in the propane so you can detect leaks, but it was a much stronger odor than just the gas. I've asked at a couple Suburban propane dealers, but they had no idea what I was talking about. I've checked the stove burner parts for blockage, but they look fine. Anyone care to guess what this stuff is? Do I need to remove and empty the tank to clean it? How do I avoid this happening again?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6743.jpg  

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #2

It's not unheard of.

Either you're using a source with contamination during distribution, or part of your propane system is getting too hot (possibly from proximity to exhaust components, or being bundled with coolant lines to rear heaters).

https://www.rasoenterprises.com/prop...pane-residuals

And yes, you are correct that your yellow burn is probably resulting in Cabon Monoxide production.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
It's not unheard of. Either you're using a source with contamination during distribution, or part of your propane system is getting too hot (possibly from proximity to exhaust components, or being bundled with coolant lines to rear heaters).
Thanks for that, it's pretty clear that I'm suffering from oily residues. Since there are no coolant lines near by, and there is a heat shield around the tank, I have to guess I got these residuals when I filled up the tank at some point in the past. Since I'm headed into the mountains next week where temps are expected to be below 0, I can only hope that the stove and heater continue to work until I can drop and empty the tank for close inspection of the interior.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Propane issues

I just did a search here on the forum and saw an old post that referenced their propane burners and regulator had gummed up from the plasticizers in their hose breaking down, longer hoses are more susceptible. They replaced the hose and regulator, cleaned things out and all was good. It was not the propane itself, which is good. Think they had found the info on RV.net or something like that. Good luck
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote