Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Quick Starcool fan question

I finally asked my A/C guy about the front fan and he did say it was hooked up in reverse. The Front fan blade was on in the correct position just the motor was hooked up wrong. He claims the secondary evap fan was correct.

So how cool are you getting the inside of your van to on shore power in weather around 100* Brian? I've never been able to make the magic 70* mark in hot weather while sitting in the sun even with the top down.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I finally asked my A/C guy about the front fan and he did say it was hooked up in reverse. The Front fan blade was on in the correct position just the motor was hooked up wrong. He claims the secondary evap fan was correct.

So how cool are you getting the inside of your van to on shore power in weather around 100* Brian? I've never been able to make the magic 70* mark in hot weather while sitting in the sun even with the top down.
We haven't really used it on shore power much yet. I tried it at home when I did all the upgrades, but only ran it for 10 minutes or so to make sure it worked. So far we've only camped in places with no hookups (national park and forest campgrounds). We were hoping to find a plug-in spot last night in Livingston, Montana, but everything was taken so no luck there. One of these days I'll get access to a good 30-amp outlet and let it run for a while...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Hope you're not disappointed. Not only was I not impressed, running it on shore power sucks down your battery reserves. I wanted it to keep the van cool before I left out on a trip. Not good when it drops the house system to low voltages on the way out. I plan to talk with my A/C guy about adding some kind of converter so I can run it W/O killing the house battery or starting battery.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #14

I guess I don't understand, if you are plugged into shore power then your inverter/charger should be running and providing the 12 volts for the rear air blower. There should be no battery drain, that at least is how it has worked for me, and how I understand the design. Pretty much the only thing that runs off of 110 is the compressor.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Battery temp monitor kicks off the charge is one way. I could probably change the specs on the charge controller but I don't want to fry my batteries. The solution is to isolate off the batteries and have a converter supply the 12v part of the system. Anyway I'm not too sure about using the inverter as a 12v source.
My plan when I purchased the Starcool was to let it run all day and after work I was ready to hit the road in a cool van. But unless I run it from the morning and throughout the day, it only drops the temp by about 10* on a hundred degree day and never keeps up. Unfortunately my van sits in full sun. I didn't have to go to Death Valley to feel 128 degree temps, all I had to do was climb into my van when it was 109 outside the other day

Old 05-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #16

Brian,

Just received my fan and planning to replace it tonight. Were you able to drop the condenser and housing just by unbolting it from the frame? I tried to get the housing/ fan off without dropping the whole unit but there is not enough room to get the housing off.

Thanks...
Old 05-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #17

I honestly can't recall as it was four years ago. I think I may have had to at least loosen the whole thing up a lot.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #18

As far as getting the fan assy off, you might have to cut away the bracket that surrounds the fan shroud nuts...at least once I did that the assy came down with just the fans...The problem in my case is the nuts were too close to the "wall" and a socket wouldn't fit, so side access was allowed with a cutoff blade. Some pics of these show the brackets not hanging down over the fan shroud fasteners.
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #19

I also recently replaced both my external fans for my Starcool III, the front one and the under-the-van one by the driver's seat. When using the Starcool driving around town the AC works great but these auxiliary fans don't run.

My question: When should these fans run? During driving with the dash AC running using 12V? Only when hooked up to shore power using 120ac? Or are the fans supposed to be on at all times for both sides of the system?
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
I also recently replaced both my external fans for my Starcool III, the front one and the under-the-van one by the driver's seat. When using the Starcool driving around town the AC works great but these auxiliary fans don't run.

My question: When should these fans run? During driving with the dash AC running using 12V? Only when hooked up to shore power using 120ac? Or are the fans supposed to be on at all times for both sides of the system?
The front one (radiator) should run whenever you are using Starcool on 12v (i.e., driving). The one under the van is for 110v use. I can't recall if the front one also runs when 110v is on.

Did you check all fuses, etc.?