Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2019, 06:47 PM   #11

Not to hijack the thread, but Eric, your picture jumped out at me. I have driven by your house once every week or two for the 4 years I have lived in the Springs now and having wanted a 4x4 SMB style van for longer than living here. I wont deny I have hoped for the entirety of those 4 years to one day see a for sale sign on it :-p But now I dont need to wait since I just bought one, I will wave if you are ever outside when I drive by :-)

Neil

renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
heard good things about monstaliner. they offer colors and have tint-able options for custom colors.

https://www.monstaliner.com/
Shenrie, the tintable Raptor Liner kits from Amazon are what I always order.

https://www.amazon.com/Raptor-Tintab...-1-spons&psc=1

I have not seen a better option that $110 for this, however good tint base is not cheap, probably close to $50 more. Great results here on lots of colors and lots of projects but there are two things I haven't tried, white tint and rolling the stuff. I really want to roll some on something and see how it goes. I'm not sure which roller to go with thought.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:39 AM   #13

Neil, this is exactly why I'm always reminding the kids to not drive around town like an asshat and always wave with all five fingers.

Congrats on finding your van. Now the adventure really begins.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #14

I have used both Monstaliner and Raptor quite frequently.

Monstaliner is a 2 part epoxy.
It is far more durable than Raptor.
It is more expensive, +/- $150/gal
Easy to roll on or spray using an undercoating Schutz gun
Clean up is horrible, must use MEK, nasty stuff
Comes in 1 gal paint cans but requires the use of a separate bucket for mixing anything other than the two parts, like mixing in tint.

Raptor is a 2 part polyurethane
Less durable, less expensive, easier to clean with acetone
Mixes/sprays in/out of its own bottle, huge plus IMO

I have rolled on tint able Raptor liner with good success. In fact I rolled on Oxford white (OEM Ford) tinted Raptor to the top of my poptop, and rolled the sides with the same grey metallic I sprayed on the lower rockers of my van.
I'm paying >$30 for Sherwin Williams Dimension tint base in a pint which is enough to tint 4-6 liters of Raptor.

If I had a white van I would Raptor white.
I have found that horizontal surfaces (like the whole roof) are tough to spray, you cant spray down easily and keep a consistent distance so it becomes blotchy, I rolled the top and sides.
I can post a link to the rollers I have been using which appear to be identical to the ones included with Monstaliner sets.
B
Old 04-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #15

thanks all for the advice! i'm gonna go with white! and with raptor liner roll on.

@Brian, that's the exact info i'm looking for. To be able to roll on the white would be perfect because i'm in an HOA and everything that goes along with that. couple of questions:

1. which raptor kit did you order if you tint separately (don't need the tint)
2. how many liters to do the top, i'm thinking 6?
3. is the ford tint you ordered the sherwin williams product?
4. yes link to the rollers would be helpful.

@brian, thanks again for the info. i'm glad to hear about your experience of spray vs roll because i was wondering that as well. rolling will be so much easier for me to accomplish (even though i do have a great compressor).

i'll document the process including the filling of the holes and the painting.
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #16
Site Team

Here's a thread to look at before you start. It is about replacing all the PH through-bolts (which could be rusted) with stainless hardware. A long thread, but you can skip to the end and contact Gooseberry who took over responsibility of having the hardware made.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-top-6987.html

Herb
Old 04-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Here's a thread to look at before you start. It is about replacing all the PH through-bolts (which could be rusted) with stainless hardware. A long thread, but you can skip to the end and contact Gooseberry who took over responsibility of having the hardware made.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-top-6987.html

Herb
yeah i've been through that thread. as far as i know gooseberry isn't able to make the hardware anymore. i'm hoping to remove it and refurbish the existing hardware.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #18

I sprayed my top with Raptorliner last summer. I tried rolling it but the texture didn't come out like I wanted it. It looked like it was rolled with think paint. Nothing wrong with that but I wanted more texture. It was easy to spray with the gun provided by Raptorliner. As others have said, the prep is the hard part but if done right the spraying goes pretty fast. I have no garage so had to wait for a calm day that was not too hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 12.54.36 PM.jpg  
Old 04-28-2019, 07:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railvan View Post
I sprayed my top with Raptorliner last summer. I tried rolling it but the texture didn't come out like I wanted it. It looked like it was rolled with think paint. Nothing wrong with that but I wanted more texture. It was easy to spray with the gun provided by Raptorliner. As others have said, the prep is the hard part but if done right the spraying goes pretty fast. I have no garage so had to wait for a calm day that was not too hot.
that looks nice! so if i roll, i'll get a little less texture that what you got, which is actually what i'm looking for. BTW, did you put on a new rubber gasket around the perimiter or were you able to reuse what you took off?
Old 04-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #20

I’d say you will get a lot less texture if you roll it. A slight texture, if that helps?

I reused my rubber edging. I bought some new pins as not all of mine were reusable.