Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #1

Raptor Spray-On Liner Fixed Top

Would love to see samples of SMBs with the Voyager or Cruiser tops lined with Raptor or a similar type of coating.

I've done it before on a penthouse and it came out great. The Voyager top on mine has the original gel coat that is showing its age. I plan to spray it with Raptor liner and match the paint with tint.

Concerned how the van might look if the entire fixed top was Raptor lined.

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #2

Here's an example

I did this to my van about a year ago.

Went from a white Fiberine top (looked like an ambulance) to black Line-L.

Much better!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p1WvEV3n2QpByFYa7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KjCaZMhpuFwBFpnCA
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #3

Excellent. Looks better than before.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #4

Having done two pop tops I can tell you that the quality of the tint base for matching your color makes all the difference. I did Rusty with the cheaper tint base that my local auto paint store had. I had so much in the project already and didn't think it would matter. It did. I think it was Nason, a common auto paint brand but not top tier. The second time on Twogone's van he splurged for Dupont tint base. It matched a lot better.

I would love to do this with a fixed top but honestly I don't think the bigger area of a fixed top looks as good when contrasted with the smooth paint on the rest of the van. It's all personal preference of course.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Having done two pop tops I can tell you that the quality of the tint base for matching your color makes all the difference. I did Rusty with the cheaper tint base that my local auto paint store had. I had so much in the project already and didn't think it would matter. It did. I think it was Nason, a common auto paint brand but not top tier. The second time on Twogone's van he splurged for Dupont tint base. It matched a lot better.

I would love to do this with a fixed top but honestly I don't think the bigger area of a fixed top looks as good when contrasted with the smooth paint on the rest of the van. It's all personal preference of course.

Yes I remember your old post stating the DuPont tint base and will heed your advice.

The bigger area of the voyager top is my concern as well. That’s why I was hoping to see some samples preferably with it paint matched.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #6

What color is your van? I think the lighter the color the better it is going to look but like I said, it's all personal preference. I would almost go in favor of Raptoring the entire van if it's a modded off-road SMB. That's just me, not for everyone.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
What color is your van? I think the lighter the color the better it is going to look but like I said, it's all personal preference. I would almost go in favor of Raptoring the entire van if it's a modded off-road SMB. That's just me, not for everyone.
Its silver. The top makes the van look aged. The body paint is still pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
C96BB0A9-BBE8-4F1B-B647-7C4CE1366FA0.jpg  
Old 10-26-2018, 09:05 PM   #8

Gotcha. Still a great looking van IMO. Keep in mind that even perfectly matched Raptor on the top is going to appear darker at certain angles. It just does.

See how perfect it looks in this pic?

I can't find the comparison pic I'm looking for but at some angles with the top down it doesn't match as well.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #9

Looks perfect Scotty. Yes my old white poptop wasn’t marched perfectly either but it’s understandable because of the different texture and surface type compared to the van body. Where did you buy your DuPont tint base ?
Old 10-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb View Post
Its silver. The top makes the van look aged. The body paint is still pretty good.
Match the color, or go with contrast.

Maybe Raptor the top in white, and then add a white (decal or Raptor) stripe down the middle of the van body to tie it all together? How are your Photoshop skills so you can visualize some options?

Herb