Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post

Since the top is new and the butyl is new, I'm planning to just trim the butyl back to the washers neatly and shoot over the hardware except the little plastic covers. If anyone has a good reason to avoid lining the hardware I'd love to hear it!.

Josh

Just make sure you use an acid etching primer over the bare metal. I sanded the hardware to give it a bit more to bite on, then trimmed back ALL butyl tape, wiped off the excess with a thinner as well, then used the primer before any spraying was done. I also used some of the adhesion promoter in any area that was a bit shy on sanding do to odd angles and such. From U-pol It was the #4 adhesion and I think it was the #8 primer although most any real good acid etching primer will work. The one other extra bit I did (before all of the that) was to use a two part plastic epoxy material to create a raised area up to the new hardware then feathered it back out just to alleviate any chance of water to pool up and stand in the area of the washers. The only thing you can see now is the bolt head under all the raptor liner. Just waiting for a good rain to test it all. I will try to post a picture when I have time to figure it out....again. lol

Old 07-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #92

Send a message via AIM to lobo_q3a
Quote:
Originally Posted by saline View Post
The Raptor Liner is thick and waterproof. I applied 3 coats to the top, waiting an hour between coats.
For a bit of time and sweat, I got the top done for under $200 and I am very satisfied with the outcome.
hey Saline

are you still happy with the Raptor product? can you post a pic of your PH for me to see? I have the same (awesome) color van as you and would like to see how the black is holding up.

thanks!
lobo_q3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #93

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Color match it, it will look really good.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #94

That's great that it worked out well for you. Where did you get the hardware for the washers and such?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:49 PM   #95

I can't believe this thread is still going!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #96

old threads die hard
Old 02-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #97

Not dead yet!!

Am I missing something or is the hardware replacement a 2 man job? Most of my penthouse bolts are rusted pretty badly and when I was trying to unscrew them, it would just spin and not back out any. The only one I was able to replace was the rear-most bolt where I could get some pliers on the bolt inside the van. It was a pain in the ass.

Any tips/tricks to help out?? I would like to get them all done before Line-X.

Thanks in advance
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #98

PS I don't think my wife will be as excited as I am about this project so hoping I can knock it out myself!
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #99

As I recall mine were doing the same thing and required assistance from someone.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #100

Just ordered racks - thule 60" track system & about to order the raptor kit.

Any thoughts on whether or not to raptor line the top, then install the rack system tracks; or install the rack system tracks & raptor line over the the tracks taping off the track's access screws? My concern is weather the raptor texture compared to the factory roof top texture had any adverse affect on the rack tracks remaining solid.

Also - has anyone simply raptored over all the hardware? I saw one post on this but not comments.

Thanks
surfmobile is offline   Reply With Quote