Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #11

I bought the center pins at a local spring shop. I have used grade 8 bolts in the past and just ground the hex head on my bench grinder until it was round.

You can go a few ways with the spring clamps:

Open them up with a big pair of Channel Locks, just enough to wiggle things apart... being that the clamps are on the #2 leaf, they won't leave much room for adding leaves between the main and #2 spring, I stuffed one leaf in between them without opening them up at all.

Bend the clamps all the way open until the tips are vertical, drill a hole in each side and run a shoulder bolt/sleeved bolt and nut through them. This option will keep the pack contained, while opening up room for maybe 2 more leaves between the main and #2. While I've also used this method in the past, it's probably not worth the effort using the particular leaves that I did, as each leaf needs to be shorter than the leaf above it, by enough that the teflon sliders from the lower leaf does not catch on the back of the slider of the leaf above it. I only had room to stuff one "new" leaf in between each of the stock leaves.

Cut the tops of the clamps off, leaving the sides. I've also used this method when the clamp was positioned on a shorter/lower leaf and would not reach the top of the "new" pack. You'll still want to add a clamp somewhere else to keep your springs from "fanning" out, newer trucks avoid this issue by using 2 center pins. You can buy universal spring clamps that are basically a sheet metal strap that you fold around the spring, feed the end through a slot, then bend it backwards to tighten and use tin snips to cut off the excess. Looks like a wide version of those long stainless steel "zip ties" that are used to hold HVAC insulation on, heck, those would probably work! I still need to pick up a pair of these as my #4 leaf is not captured.

Whatever you do, just make sure you do have the leaves banded together somehow besides the center pin/u-bolts. Besides preventing "fanning" the clamps also prevent the main leaf from bending around the u-bolt plate in the event of over extension while under load... think: The drooped side of an articulated axle, with a brocken shock mount that you didn't know about. The spring can be forced to extend beyond its natural arch and when the wheel tries to move forward, it just folds the main leaf instead of moving the vehicle. Been there, no fun.

A properly positioned set of limit straps and bump stops goes a long way to keep everything working as intended. That will be my next van project.

TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
NAPA has center pins. But you'll need to find one of the old guys who can look up the parts as parts, instead of jumping straight for "what year model make".

The clips can be bent open and hammered back.
Thanks! ..we have a NAPA-like source that may have them too....Orange Engine in Dana Point....I'll call them......and a few NAPAs in north county.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote