Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #1

Rear pop out windows

I would like to convert my rear door windows to popouts like the side door, but can't find a kit. I thought it was offered on a few years but can't find any donors either.

Any help would be appreciated

BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #2

Garage
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...uts-10090.html

Great thread on the how to.
Salvage yard for the parts. I have very few donors in my neck of the woods too.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #3

Garage
BigRed - where are you located? Maybe someone near you knows of a yard with pop outs?

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #4

Southern CA

We do have donors just none with the pop outs that I have found

OR if someone had them factory and could supply a vin number I could check with the dealer to see if I could piece the kit together. You know the dealer can't do ANYTHING without a vin
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #5

Garage
I am sure if the dealers had them, people wouldn't be sending you to yards to find them, they would just give you the part number. I may be wrong but I don't think they make them anymore.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

They stopped offering the pop-out windows in the early 2000s, I believe. They are no longer available from dealers, unless they happen to have old stock (doubtful at this point).

It's a shame: they are one of the best upgrades I've made to our van. I love them! If you have any install questions feel free to PM me (I did the photo write-up noted above).

I guess I'm just lucky... every time I go to the pick-and-pull I find at least one set, maybe more. But that's here on the east coast where maybe they aren't in as much demand. Unfortunately, they are really unwieldy to ship, although I've pulled a few extra sets and sold them locally on CL.

Last fall I scored a nice set of OEM tinted pop-out windows in a junkyard, but unfortunately was not able to get the frames off with the tools I had with me. I'll probably swap out my clear glass windows for the tinted ones sooner or later.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:28 AM   #7

There's a set on a van at the Sherwood, OR Pick-n-Pull right now. They're clear glass with terrible home tint job but all the parts are there.

I see them frequently at that yard. '94 and '95 vans mostly.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #8

Garage
Thanks to MG I just put a set of the tinted ones on just in time for summer and absolutely love them. If you can find them don't pass it up.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #9

Garage
I can likely help with this. Pop out rear windows were offered on all Econoline vans from 92-95. The rear door hole pattern and fitment is identical for all models from 1992-2014. I come across quite a few at my local yards and have sold about a dozen kits that come with all you need. If this is something you are interested in, send me an email to VantageOptics@gmail.com and we can start the conversation.

For what it's worth, I have about 4 sets of side windows available in pop outs that can be shipped. Most of the newer vans do not have the smaller pop out window on the 40% door and they can make a significant difference in warmer weather.

Photos are two of the three styles available. The darker factory tint version is nearly impossible to find with the mirrored tint and factory clear being the most available.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
20150114_164851.jpg   20150114_164904.jpg  
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #10

Redoval is correct. Long gone and any parts are long gone from dealers. This means if you have a sweet set like I do (or just did) you'll constantly be paranoid about breaking them. One of you industrious types could make a few $$$ if you'd make and market some hardware to make the new ones tilt out somehow. Yes, I know, if you've looked at the newer windows you'll see it looks impossible, but a lot of stuff MGmetalworks, Ujoint, 1der, Agile etc. come up with seems impossible.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote