Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #1

Rear shower upgrade/modification anyone?

Well the $0.99 shower head on my rear shower just crumbled into pieces due to the cold. (Good thing I was just loading groceries and not standing there cold and covered with mud ).

So before I start my Internet search I thought I'd see if anyone has upgraded their rear shower with a little better setup. (This has always been one of those little things that I was really surprised SMB totally cheaped out on. Mine has leaked since day one every time I turn on the water pump!)

If anyone has come up with a better solution I would love to hear about it and see pics. Thanks!

truckee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #2

Garage
I'll bet there have been numerous types of hoses and handles used by SMB over time. Mine is nice. How about a pic so we know what you've got?
Old 12-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #3

I actually like our exterior shower wand / setup a lot. It leaks a couple drops when you remove the exterior shower from the "outlet", but nothing bad at all and even they even warned us it would do this.

I am planning on getting an extension for it since it does splash on the rear doors when used. We are also planning on getting a convenient, easy to setup enclosure for when we need to take real showers.

Outback Porta-Privy
Old 12-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #4

Garage
Let me know what extension works. I do have the external shower curtain setup, but would rather just be further from the van and stand outside naked. There's never anyone around where I go!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:47 PM   #5

Handheld Showers

Go to www.plumbingstore.com to see the Alson brand of handheld unit's , they are the first choice in most of the upscale Motorhome's and high end Marine Industry . I have sold and used their product's on several of my Boat's and RV's . In fact I specified one of their unit's on my new 2400 Bay Ranger. All of the unit's that I have seen recently installed on the Sportmobiles appear to be a medium quality unit made by Thetford Corp. This site will also show Hose's and fitting's . I tried without success to have Sportmobile include an Alson unit on my soon to be delivered Van .

Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
I wish I had some quick disconnects toward the rear even if it were under the bumper. Do they make a twin hose and a wand that has hot/cold controls on it? I pack one of those pop up shower tents. Sure would help keep the water and bugs out of the van.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #7

Quick Connects

Daveb, Not knowing how your unit is plumbed I would contact the service dept. at SportMobile to find out your brand of water heater , the hose and fitting size and the ability of your existing water pump to move water the additional distance . Their are pumps that are higher pressure than the ones that are generally used for a standard applications in RV's . You can run double lines and get quick disconnects if your system and budget permits it
a little ingenuity goes along way !

Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage
They fought the idea. Maybe I should push it a little more. At first I asked to have it put in my side utility door and they said it would be too difficult. Then I asked about the back and they wern't too thrilled about it. I don't know how difficult it would be to add valves (actually they are there now) where the wand is (to drain during cold weather) and shoot 2 lines down with quick disconnects that are easy to hook up. So what if it leaks a bit on the ground at the quick disconnects. But I would have to find a wand that can adjust the water temp at the wand.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #9

I have an internal shower and a rear shower access on the panel of the driver's side dinette that's available via the rear doors.

Maybe their reluctance was a result of your layout? My rear shower hookup was a result of a recommendation by John Kalmbach when we were designing my layout.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #10

rear shower upgrade

A bit of hand tightening on the wand keeps it leak free. we just place a small wash cloth under the disconnect/ temperature valve, shut off the pump, relieve the pressure either from the wand or sink faucet, and unhook with just a few drops on the cloth. Too much pressure if anything on the shower, so we will be looking for a in-wand limiting device, found in those "hotels" which we never see since SMBing.