Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #1

rear view mirror with compass and temp wiring loom

Did my 2003 E350 come with the wiring loom for the rear view mirror with compass and temp? I did not get this option but want it now. If it is there it should be above the driver in the headliner...I hope. Thanks.

doug47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #2

Re: rear view mirror with compass and temp wiring loom

No, the only wires will be for the dome light.
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #3

That is not good news. I should be able to figure out where things go. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #4

I installed one last year. I will look at my pictures, resize them and reply how I did it.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #5

OK here is what I did. I thought I had lots of pictures but I only have one of the mirror with the wires hanging from it and one of the temp sensor that I can find tonight.

First here is a link to the Gentex PDF for instlling the mirror.

http://mgtmotorsports.com/images/Gentex ... ctions.pdf

I have a better Ford PDF but I don't remember where I got it so I can't send you the link.

The first thing you need to decide is what mirror you are going to use. Mine has Compass/Temp/Auto Dimming and Home Link (3 buttons for garage doors or lights). If you already bought one it should have instructions. If you bought a used one you might need a wiring harness and you can get them on eBay and some other site and also from the Ford dealer.

Depending on your year first you need to remove the drivers side lower dash trim, the drivers side grab handle (two bolts under the little covers) and then carefully remove the drivers side A pillar trim. You might want to pull the door seal out a bit near the trim. I dropped my headliner as I did lighted sun visors at the same time. But if you are only doing the mirror it might be easier if you remove the drivers side visor (3 x 5.5 mm bolts, if you don't have a 5.5mm socket you might not be able to remove the visor) Install the mirror first, that way you know how much wire to leave for it. You might want to leave just a little extra where it goes up into the headliner (hidden) so you can unplug it without removing anything.

Oh before I forget, you will need the long wire cover from Ford or Gentex the car ones are NOT long enough for a van. (Again either eBay or possibly Gentex) You can install it without the cover and install it later.

Run the wires from the mirror up to the body near the windshield and across to the drivers side and down to under the dash. I always use small strips of Dynamat to hold wires up to the body where it gets hot. You can use duct tape (but it smells and falls down) you also can use the stuff called Shurtape DC181. It will stick to almost anything , its light and easy to work with and it lasts. (its also great for covering seams on foil insulation or Dynamat.

You need to hook up three wires. 1 Ground and bare metal under the dash 2 Constant 12 volt power 3 Key on 12 volt power (for that one I used the wire for the radio delay so the temp still shows unless I open the door or it times out).

There will also be two purple wires if you get one with outside temp that you will need to run through the firewall and out to the temp sensor. I installed mine to the drivers side radiator support at the distance recommended by Gentex. I removed the grill but held it up before do my final installation because I wanted to make sure I could not see the temp sensor through the grill. Be careful where you put the sensor as they will NOT work well if you don't do almost exactly what they tell you do.

Let me know if you have any questions.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Old 06-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #6

Jamie, Excellent!!! I'm in process of choosing my junk yard miirror. I've had things apart up in the A pillar and headliner before. So with your info it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm going to JY on Fri. Thanks again for the info. Doug
Old 06-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #7

This is where my temp sensor was located, it came installed from Sportsmobile.

greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #8

If you are going to the junk yard, salvage yard or Scrappers as I say I would check for Jeeps and Chrysler products as well as Ford Corp trucks and cars. You can check GM and imports but they are not as apt to have the right ones.

Almost all of the mirrors are made by Gentex. They come in Compass only, Compass and Outside Temp both with and without Homelink and Auto Dimming. Some have dome lights as well. They also have different colored displays if that matters to you. Green ,Blue and Red I think.

You can extend the wires if you get the harness with the mirror as there are a few different plug connections. The colors are standard, black, red, yellow and two purple for the temp sender. Get the temp sender if you can.

If you need parts try this guy.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ddave57/m.html? ... ksid=p4853

I have purchased two mirrors from this guy. He has good prices on mirrors and sometime has things not listed, including brand new mirrors.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/auctiondealonli ... 4340.l2562

Here is the Gentex search page on ebay as of right now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... rs&_sop=15

They are easy to install it just takes a bit of time running the wires.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Old 06-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #9

Thanks US12. Gentex seems to be the most common. I'm going to a Ford only junk yard to try my luck!