Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #1

Removing factory roof rack

I have a '95 SMB and it has the chrome "roof rack" in the rear. I haven't looked into it very thoroughly, but I want to remove it so I can add some yakima mounts/bars/cargo basket.

Has anyone removed their factory rack? What did you do to fill the mounting holes?

Old 11-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #2

Re: Removing factory roof rack

Can you post a pic of yours? I'm assuming it's like the one that was on my 95. I cut it off with a grinder the day I brought it home. I finally got paint mixed and bought 'kitty hair' fiberglass resin to patch the holes. I will post pics as I do mine but not ready yet.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #3

Here are some pics of the rack. Mine only came with the rear rack, although I have seen some SMB's with a similar rack at the front of the pop top. I'm thinking I can unbolt them, but wasn't sure what to do with the holes. Maybe use a bolt with a big washer and lots of silicone to seal it.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #4

I wonder if I could have a welding shop weld a bar across the back and front and then mount a cargo rack to it. I'm only wanting to remove it so I can install some yakima wide body mounts, towers, and bars to put a cargo rack anyways.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
I wonder if I could have a welding shop weld a bar across the back and front and then mount a cargo rack to it. I'm only wanting to remove it so I can install some yakima wide body mounts, towers, and bars to put a cargo rack anyways.
That's a good idea if you can get the spacing right. In other words, forward enough where it works and looks good.

Mine were much rustier than yours so cutting them off was my only option, but I did it so hastily because the front racks were SUPER loud. Loud as in I can't believe the PO would drive the thing. It howled like you were in a hurricane.
Your larger bolt and silicone idea should work fine too. No one can really see up there. It will be one of those things you really just fix for yourself. No one else is ever going to notice it.

Keep us posted on your fix and show some pics. Obviously this useless roof rack is on several SMBs.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #6

I looked up the spacing requirement for the racks and it's 30" minimum. The rear rack is only about 18" so it's not long enough. I could possibly have 1 bar welded across and then install the Yakima setup towards the front, but it might look weird. Still need to figure out what to do.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #7

I would use the forwardmost holes to mount the rear bar of a Yakima rack and fill in the 2 rearmost holes on each side. That would give your rack decent spacing kind of in the middle of your roof instead of it being on the very back, which will look strange and probably not work well anyway since all the weight and usability would be at the very back of the roof.