Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #11

Out of curiosity, and kind of a dumb question... Are the switches more or less the same between the old and new? Eg: If you manage to get the new doors with switches and it doesn't cost a huge premium, can you simply cut the connectors and connect the new wires to the old connector?

Might be even easier if they even used the same color wire for the same thing?

Ford wouldn't let us have it that easy, would they???

Old 05-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #12

Garage
That's some great creativity Ben! I can already see a run on the newer door panels on all the local junk yards - I may be one of the culprits... Those panels seem WAY more functional then the old ones.
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #13

I like your craftsmanship and documentation. Well done Sir, well done.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #14

Thanks for the props everyone! I really wanted the new panels to work so I am really glad this worked out in the end!

Offroad,

When I grabbed the newer door panels from the junk yard, I took the new switches too. The switches are very different. The new ones have different pin counts, and I believe there is a thread here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ing-13576.html where someone took a shot at it and didn't get it to work.

Ford also moved the rear view mirror controls further up on the door in the new panels, so you would need to splice the power connectors to extend the wires for that controller as well. After looking at it for a while, I decided I did not want to go down that road.

Heck, even between the different older style vans the wire colors differ, and then differ more depending on if the van came with a remote unlock function. Too many wiring diagrams for me to sift through!

There probably is a way to get the switches to work, I just hadn't seen any examples.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281 View Post
Offroad,

When I grabbed the newer door panels from the junk yard, I took the new switches too. The switches are very different. The new ones have different pin counts, and I believe there is a thread here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ing-13576.html where someone took a shot at it and didn't get it to work.

Ford also moved the rear view mirror controls further up on the door in the new panels, so you would need to splice the power connectors to extend the wires for that controller as well. After looking at it for a while, I decided I did not want to go down that road.

Heck, even between the different older style vans the wire colors differ, and then differ more depending on if the van came with a remote unlock function. Too many wiring diagrams for me to sift through!

There probably is a way to get the switches to work, I just hadn't seen any examples.
Unfortunate... but confirmed my suspicions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
Ford wouldn't let us have it that easy, would they???
Erik
Old 05-04-2019, 01:35 AM   #16

this is awesome .... I need to find some of these panels with no power ... just the hole for the window crank and I will be set.... love love love this
renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:42 AM   #17
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281 View Post
This should be true although I've not dug into it--basically it would require comparing the "new" door panel model year schematic with the van where they're be installed. As long as the "new" switches are NOT part of the CAN-bus network one would simply have to match function each switches function with wire colors or pin locations of each and connect them accordingly.

This would require the "new" switch connector ends be replaced with the older versions, wires spliced together.

Keep in mind the PDL and PW are some of the most basic automotive circuits, that the E-Series remained relatively low tech all through its life. Also keep in mind I've not worked with the "new" style door panel switches but have added PW and PDL's to a van not originally equipped with those features. That was a bit of a challenge initially as I'd not done this sort of thing before.

None the less I'm still impressed with the results and aesthetics of this whole project--VERY well done Ben!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:16 PM   #18

I just did this swap on my 95 E350. I really wanted to use the ‘08+ switches because they look and feel better than the 95 switches. Also the auto-down feature is nice. Everything wiring wise is pretty straightforward for power windows and the power mirrors. Just have to match up the right wires with each other with the help of wiring schematics for both years. The power locks is where I had to get creative. The ‘08+ lock switch uses 4 tiny wires and runs ultimately to the fuse panel, which has some sort of control for the door locks. Only 3 of the wires are for the locks, the other is for the switch illumination . It activates the control by completing the circuit to ground with low amperage. The ‘07 and older uses contacts in the switch itself to complete BOTH 12v positive and ground to the lock motors, with bigger wires carrying higher amperage. The lock motors have two wires going into them, and depending on wether lock or unlock is pushed on the switch, switching the polarity going to the lock actuators.

With some clever wiring and lots of trial and error, there is a way to make the ‘08 lock switch work with the older system. You have to wire in 4 relays, but it does work. I will try to upload my homemade schematic and some pics of the factory wiring diagrams.
Twowheelstig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:18 AM   #19

You can make the 08 and up switches work on the older vans. I made a post about this very thing 3 years ago or so, back when i converted my 2005 Chinook to the new style panels and switches. My original forum user name was Chinook at the time.

You dont need 4 relays you only need 2 on the drivers side. You need to download a wire schematic for your van as well as a schematic for whatever van you took the panels out of. You should find that the switches actually serve to complete a ground circuit. Attempting to run voltage threw them will actually fry the switch and you will have to buy new ones.

Its been long enough that i dont recall all of the specifics but you can look at my post for clues if you wish.

Not saying or implying my way is the only way to make them work. Just pay attention to the schematics because you will find remote keyless entry boxes and all kinds of neat stuff you could potentially short circuit. My rig also does not have side or rear entry factory door locks as its a small RV.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...0-a-27025.html

Ben10281, since you already modifified your switch panels i would just leave them alone at this point and enjoy your new look.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:34 AM   #20

ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote