Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #21

Re: Replacing Sway Bar Bushings

The load vectors seem very poorly distributed/channelled in that design and it seems adding two holes right at the critical point further compounds the problem. It seems gussets would be very helpful on the shock mounting tabs.

Bwtfdik - I am just an accountant so I could really be all wrong

Old 10-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Well mine was broke before I took it to Deaver (OME shocks) and they pointed it out to me but re-welded it. They didn't reinforce it and a year or so later the same thing happened. IIRC it was an up-pulling force. Since the new plate was installed in Tahoe no problems with that side. The guy in Tahoe claimed he thought Deaver just welded over the cracked weld because there was rust under the weld. BTW, Mine broke much more cleanly that the one pictured. But SMB saw a small crack on the opposite side last week and is addressing the problem. I'll see what they find tomorrow.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #23

Update, new spring plates are on their way from SMB West. The new brackets have a gusset welded on the back side of the shock mount. They already have the shock mounts welded on so I will have to modify them to fit the Bilsteins. I think my local shop can handle that rather than shipping the plates again to Deaver and then back to me.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Looking at the rust on the shock shaft, it doesn't look like the suspension is bottoming out on the shock so I am guessing that it is topping out on the shock well before the springs are, it is carrying all the load and then some, so the mount ripped off. I'd be looking a shock lengths and even damping.
Winner winner chicken dinner. It's a 10" travel shock in an application with 3.5" of travel to the bump stop. The shock was fully compressed before the springs would hit the bump stop. Modifying the plate by Deaver to lower the shock mount (apparently not low enough) tempered the steel with not one but two additional welds. Without an additional gusset to help with the load the plate broke.

I'm working on a solution with a fabricator who does race car stuff for this guy. http://www.robertnaughton.com/rob-naugh ... /home.html
I suspect Ramsey knows him. Anyhow, one idea would be to simply weld the lower mount to the axel and skip the u-bolt plate all together. Or, to start from scratch would be a plate under the springs but above the axel.

Either way, something to look out for those of us who have had Deaver Springs installed. I'm not sure the modification they do to the SMB u-bolt plate in order to account for the longer travel Bilstein is the best solution.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #25

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Don't feel bad, you are not alone - almost every 4X4 Van of every converter that comes through our shop has a suspension design problem.

I think because of our racing background, we just look at things differently. Even our system could be much better but the costs get up there. We would like to offer a "swing set" steering system for example but don't think it would be cost effective...

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Don't feel bad, you are not alone - almost every 4X4 Van of every converter that comes through our shop has a suspension design problem.

I think because of our racing background, we just look at things differently. Even our system could be much better but the costs get up there. We would like to offer a "swing set" steering system for example but don't think it would be cost effective...
I realize just about all 4WD conversions have a weak link somewhere. Really, this just illustrates that Deaver is a spring shop and not a 4wd shop. The important thing is that anyone who has upgraded to their spring package have a look at their u-bolt plates. I'm not out to point fingers.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #27

Posting in this thread instead of starting a new one.

Has anyone had luck sourcing replacement bushings for the sway bar links? I had no luck at NAPA.

Or, does anyone have an experience with Sportsmobile front sway bar disconnect kit? Or, are they the same as what got installed as part of their 4x4 conversion? https://www.sportsmobilestore.com/sm...isconnect-kit/

For $100 for the kit, it would be far cheaper to find a source for the bushings in the links.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #28

Garage
I replaced mine with rubicon? brand I got from 4wd store. They are Waaaaay better than the SMB originals I replaced.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2020-07-10-19:19:23-351.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	34358
I had to modify a bit and use brass bushings from true value but it came out great.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:21 PM   #29

Garage
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2020-07-10-19:20:49-723.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	34359
Greasable and adjustable
Old 07-10-2020, 08:22 PM   #30

Garage
https://www.4wd.com/p/rubicon-expres.../R-BKTG-RE1131