Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #1

Reversing camera - where to run cable in EB50

I am about to install my reversing camera. So I need to run a cable from dash to rear roof.

I am planning to go up the A pillar, and then run down either side just under gutter height. Which is the easiest side to run the cable behind? The left side has more stuff but then the cabinets are open behind them, whereas the right side has less stuff, but you have to take trim off the whole way.

Any tips, thoughts, been there done that?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #2

Re: Reversing camera - where to run cable in EB50

I would suggest passenger side. I just had to take the whole side apart. Very simple and then you don't need to deal with the cabinets on the driver's side. I can't say I've had the whole driver's side apart but from my experience the pass. side was cake. Shocking how many screws SMB uses, way too many IMO.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #3

High or low mount?

Mine is high. I have cable running:
- Up A pillar (remove handle and plastic)
- across driver door (shoved under door trim- not great but everything else is glued)
- behind the shelf and in the bottom back of the shelf
- up and across the top of the 50 cabinets, below the steel for the PH bed

Next take off the back upholstery, which is a matter of several phillips screws and you can fish the cord into the space from the back corner and then up inside the PH or out the rear doors.

For low mount I think I would go down the B pillar behind the plastic trim and then behind the fridge. You probably have to drill a hole under the sink over the tire well, but as far as my van it's more or less open until then.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #4

Garage

I installed my camera low, right above the license plate. I'm happy with that position, not sure what having it up high would add. Ran the cable down the drivers side step panel, out the hole in the bottom of the foot well and then along the frame to the back bumper. Added some protective wire loom covers and zip tied to the frame.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #5

I put my camera up high so I can see the trailer to back it up. I ran my cable under the penthouse fabric trim.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Couldn't you use using adhesive cable tie bases to run cables under the inside edge of the penthouse fiberglass top. I've not measured but it looks like there is enough room.

You could run the wires to the front left corner of the penthouse fabric then bring then inside using the same method you'd use in the back. Something I've been thinking about but not seen discussed.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #7

About six years ago I installed a WIRELESS backup camera on an SUV, having become spoiled by the one in the previous vehicle. It worked fairly well. I haven't looked at them since, because the next vehicle had one. It would not surprise me that they have become even more reliable. Has anyone tried a wireless backup camera during the past year or two? Thoughts?
bluesprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesprinter
About six years ago I installed a WIRELESS backup camera on an SUV, having become spoiled by the one in the previous vehicle. It worked fairly well. I haven't looked at them since, because the next vehicle had one. It would not surprise me that they have become even more reliable. Has anyone tried a wireless backup camera during the past year or two? Thoughts?
I got one at Costco a number of years back (2-3), where the camera attached just above the license plate. Worked OK, but the signal wasn't the best, and the screen was small. I really only used it to help getting the trailer hitched up if I was by myself, or if I didn't want to get in an argument with my wife (No, your other left!). If the wireless signal has improved (its a long way from the rear bumper to the dashboard) and the screen has gotten larger, it might be worth exploring.

Herb
Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #9

I mounted a wireless backup camera for my dad. It was a Voyager system:

http://www.rvcams.com/merchant2/merchan ... ry_Code=14

It has a 5.6" Color LCD and great reception from the back of his long pickup. All we did was connect the camera to the backup lights and plug in the display. Turn on the display, put it in reverse and you are ready to go.

I liked it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the camera has no cover on the lens when not in use.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #10

Garage
Reversing camera - where to run cable in EB50

I tried one of these at the place doing some work on my boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Swift-Hitch-SH01- ... B000ZEON90

It uses a magnet to attach to the back of the rig. Reception was good and it seemed like a great one person solution.