Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #11

Bummer about the top. The more photos you take and post the easier it will be for the next person.

When you remove the top to do the fix it may be easier for the reinstallatiom to remove the canvas from the metal roof first. Flip the top over and then remove the canvas from the top.

Once the top is repaired reinstall the canvas on the top, flip it and then reattach the canvas to the metal roof once the top is in position. This is the way SMB does. Boy Wonder has a good description on how to remove a top in his build thread, http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-10808-17.html. It is the very first post on the page.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Bummer about the top. The more photos you take and post the easier it will be for the next person.

When you remove the top to do the fix it may be easier for the reinstallatiom to remove the canvas from the metal roof first. Flip the top over and then remove the canvas from the top.

Once the top is repaired reinstall the canvas on the top, flip it and then reattach the canvas to the metal roof once the top is in position. This is the way SMB does. Boy Wonder has a good description on how to remove a top in his build thread, http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-10808-17.html. It is the very first post on the page.
You are absolutely correct. I've done it both ways. Neither are easy and removing/flipping is at least a 2 man job but MUCH easier than trying to lift the canvas up and attach to the ceiling. Gravity sucks.

So, on the screwed up roof, I've heard the words 'SMB pop top lifetime warranty' thrown around as a reason you should NOT put a roof vent in an SMB. The word on the street is doing things like this void the warranty. So, that said, what else would the warranty be for except something like delamination? In other words, have you called SMB? Perhaps they'll warranty the top. This has to be a rare occurrence. I've been hanging around here for years and never heard of it. Call Nancy at SMB North for an answer today, SMB Texas for an answer tomorrow, and SMB West for an answer long after you've solved the problem yourself.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #13

Also if you fix the fiberglass roof your self there is no need to pay someone to line it. Spraying raptor liner is very easy or there are plenty of roll on liners. That will be the easy part.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
So, on the screwed up roof, I've heard the words 'SMB pop top lifetime warranty' thrown around as a reason you should NOT put a roof vent in an SMB. The word on the street is doing things like this void the warranty. So, that said, what else would the warranty be for except something like delamination? In other words, have you called SMB? Perhaps they'll warranty the top. This has to be a rare occurrence. I've been hanging around here for years and never heard of it. Call Nancy at SMB North for an answer today, SMB Texas for an answer tomorrow, and SMB West for an answer long after you've solved the problem yourself.
Oh that would have been just too good to be true....
I called Brian at SMB West (yes, he did answer the phone...) and apparently the warranty is for 5 years at unlimited miles (during that time, obviously).

So that's that, but that was a good idea.

Guess I'll get some helpers lined up (free beer and BBQ should do the trick), wait for a sunny weekend, and pop the top off......
PlayOutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #15

Well, it sounds like I may be in a similar boat...but my boat is feeling a little more painful right now...

Just bought on 03 E250 SMB up in Sacramento. The PH roof is raptor lined, and it looked like it was in good condition (no cracks, etc). The bolts had all the correct rubber washers, though they looked to be pretty aged.

Anyways, I noticed some wet spots on a couple of the corners where the pop top meets the plywood on the inside. It didn't seem too bad, but I was still concerned. They said that they accidentally left the top up in the rain the other night (though that shouldn't have made it wet in that spot), but I sort of wrote it off to that.

The service tech said he'd put self leveling sealer over the bolts just to make sure water wasn't getting in there (so now there are some sealant blobs over each bolt). I figured with all the rain we've had recently, it was probably an isolated incident, but when I got home and looked at it, it was still very wet in each corner.

Given this thread, I'm very concerned that I have the same issue (and it's a little heart breaking since I just paid a lot of money for this). Anyways, I guess I'm looking for some guidance on where to start. Is there any way to check the condition of the plywood without removing the entire PH top? Unfortunately, I took a look at the pictures in the original posting and you can see some slight staining in the rear, which makes me think the issue has been around for at least a month (since the dealer had it at least that long).

Trying my best to keep calm...
Roccon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #16

Roccon: It's all very repairable....and if you hang out here long enough, you'll figure out that SMB set's the bar a bit low on some things.

Do a search here for my build thread..it's called "Popping my top"..it has a number of gory details about fastening the canvas to the top and roof, etc etc as well as numerous improvements.....shoulder screws, sleeving the crossmembers, nylon spacers, etc.

Where exactly is your roof leaking?

Can you post pictures of the leaks?

the canvas is sealed to the van roof with butyl tape...readily available at McMaster Carr.....a bit of a messy PITA to remove/replace but entirely do-able. The canvas attaches to the SMB top with the headliner.....this is another area of improvement for the DIYer.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #17

I just went out and undid some of the screws on the corners. I put my fingers around the edges of the plywood, and it didn't feel rotten. Though, there is one spot where there is some seepage - if you push on the plywood in that corner a little bubble liquid comes out and it smells like the sealer the guy put on, so some liquid definitely got in there. Not sure what my next steps should be...some dry weather would be helpful.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Roccon: It's all very repairable....and if you hang out here long enough, you'll figure out that SMB set's the bar a bit low on some things.

Do a search here for my build thread..it's called "Popping my top"..it has a number of gory details about fastening the canvas to the top and roof, etc etc as well as numerous improvements.....shoulder screws, sleeving the crossmembers, nylon spacers, etc.

Where exactly is your roof leaking?

Can you post pictures of the leaks?

the canvas is sealed to the van roof with butyl tape...readily available at McMaster Carr.....a bit of a messy PITA to remove/replace but entirely do-able. The canvas attaches to the SMB top with the headliner.....this is another area of improvement for the DIYer.
@boywonder - I really appreciate the words of encouragement. That definitely makes me a feel a lot better. Luckily I have a few buddies who are more than willing to lend a hand.

I will try and take some pictures tonight before the rain comes.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #19

Here are some photos, sorry if the quality isn't that great.

The worst area is the first few pics. That hole is where the drape attaches to the ceiling. The dark color is from the sealant he put on top (at least I assume, because it smells like the sealant).

The other pics are just around the perimeter. It seems like the sides are relatively dry, but towards the ends/corners is where there are the issues. I noticed that my roof has some curving towards where the latch down bolts are...I figured that was standard since that was where the tension was placed.

Regardless, I'm thinking that's where the issue was originating...the water was pooling in those low spots and seeping under the rubber washers. I guess it then permeated towards the corner?

Unfortunately we have rain in the forecast for the next few days, so I don't plan on doing much anytime soon. But I guess I'm curious as to what the first step might be. I'm sort of hoping that the issues were isolated to the most forward and rear plywood panels and I could just replace those...but I think that may be optimistic. I guess the only bright side to this whole thing is that I was planning on doing solar relatively quickly, so I could tackle the panel roof mount, hole, and wiring at the same time if I do need to redo the inside of the roof. Though, I'll have to work very quickly since I don't have a garage or covered parking. As always, appreciate all the help.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #20

Yikes. That doesn't look good. I'd read boywonders thread about putting one together, cause you'll need to take most of that apart to inspect and repair.

Hopefully you caught it before the wood rotted like playoutside's.

Edit: I'd throw a tarp over it so it doesn't get any more wet.. It'll be easier and quicker to work on it.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote