Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #21

Roccon: If the roof fasteners are leaking, consider replacing them with stainless fasteners when you redo them to fix leaks....I used stainless everything, new butyl, and some stainless sealing washers from Mcmaster....no leaks.....

BTW I just started a new job and I'll be in the Escondido area frequently..maybe closer than south OC for you if you'd like to get together.

You may want to consider a tarp or some visquene plastic for the next couple of days if the van will be outside......

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:29 PM   #22

Took your advice, just put a big plastic painters sheet between the ph and the roof. Hopefully that keeps it dry during the next few days.
Roccon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #23

Bummer. Your canvas is probably permanently stained. I hope you get this figured out soon. It's painful to see and hear.

When someone in San Diego is looking for dry weather I think the armageddon may be imminent.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Bummer. Your canvas is probably permanently stained. I hope you get this figured out soon. It's painful to see and hear.
Yeah, definitely a bummer. But, I'm trying to stay positive. Reading through boywonders post about popping his top has been helpful. At least I know it can be fixed. As far as the staining...I'm pretty sure most of it will be permanent. But, I'm more form over function anyways - I don't mind if it looks a little funky as long as it does its job without leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
When someone in San Diego is looking for dry weather I think the armageddon may be imminent.
No kidding!
Old 01-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #25

Also, just to let you know. SMB in Fresno will take it apart and replace canvas for about $2500, and sell you just the canvas for about $900 - but you sometimes have to talk them into it.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccon99 View Post
Took your advice, just put a big plastic painters sheet between the ph and the roof. Hopefully that keeps it dry during the next few days.
Sorry to hear about this. Personally, I would send those pics back to the dealer and have a serious discussion with them. There was clearly a longer term issue than leaving the top popped overnight, and the sealer over the bolts is evidence they knew this. I think they misrepresented the condition of your SMB.

Herb
Old 01-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Also, just to let you know. SMB in Fresno will take it apart and replace canvas for about $2500, and sell you just the canvas for about $900 - but you sometimes have to talk them into it.
Like I mentioned, I'm not too bothered by the staining as long as I can get it working properly going forward. But, that's good to know as a last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Sorry to hear about this. Personally, I would send those pics back to the dealer and have a serious discussion with them. There was clearly a longer term issue than leaving the top popped overnight, and the sealer over the bolts is evidence they knew this. I think they misrepresented the condition of your SMB.
Herb
I can certainly try (and will), but they went on and on about the "as-is" conditions, etc, and I'm sure they'd do just about anything to avoid paying any amount.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #28

On my last 04 SMB I noticed similar staining after a rain in the corner similar to the one pictured. As I pulled the screws in the corner I realized that the thin headliner plywood was trashed from being soaked. It literally crumbled in my hands so I imagine it had been getting wet for quite some time. I pulled the headliner and let everything dry out and rebuilt the interior of the PH. I also Raptor lined it since it was cracks in the gelcoat that caused the leaks.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline View Post
On my last 04 SMB I noticed similar staining after a rain in the corner similar to the one pictured. As I pulled the screws in the corner I realized that the thin headliner plywood was trashed from being soaked. It literally crumbled in my hands so I imagine it had been getting wet for quite some time. I pulled the headliner and let everything dry out and rebuilt the interior of the PH. I also Raptor lined it since it was cracks in the gelcoat that caused the leaks.
Thanks for the input @saline. When you rebuilt the interior did you use a similar process to boywonder (removing the entire PH from the springs/roof and then reattaching after fixed?) How long did it take you from start to finish?
Old 01-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #30

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...r-ph-9707.html

Hopefully it's still holding up. If I had to do it over again I would have made the panels about 1/2" less in thickness. It somewhat interfered with latching the rear as snug as it was from the factory.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote