Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #21

Re: Roof Rack Companies & Options?

carringb,

Holy smokes! 18 people on your roof rack?? That's insane(ly awesome). Can you explain in more detail the rack setup you had for this?

- What mounting set up did you have? Are you saying you used the set up this guy linked to: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Econoline- ... 9b&vxp=mtr
- What kind of top on your SMB? How high off the rain gutters was your rack raised?
- What actual rack platform did you have? You mentioned Weather Guard, but I don't know much about that brand or if that means a specific model.
- Do you have any photos?

I'm pretty sure most people in this thread would be blown away that you had 18(!) people on a rack on your SMB. Again, nuts, but super awesome.

seanahrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #22

Vantech has a full catalog with all their products. It's a downloadable PDF.

They have full length rack options, platforms, etc.

The 28.5" uprights (ones in the link from ebay I posted earlier) are detailed in there as well. You may find more info on spacing, loading capacity, etc.

http://site.vantech.us/E-catalog.html

BTW, WeatherGaurd type racks are very similar to these Vantech products. In fact, they may be the same products just marketed different.

Justin
Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanahrens
carringb,

Holy smokes! 18 people on your roof rack?? That's insane(ly awesome). Can you explain in more detail the rack setup you had for this?

- What mounting set up did you have? Are you saying you used the set up this guy linked to: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Econoline- ... 9b&vxp=mtr
- What kind of top on your SMB? How high off the rain gutters was your rack raised?
- What actual rack platform did you have? You mentioned Weather Guard, but I don't know much about that brand or if that means a specific model.
- Do you have any photos?

I'm pretty sure most people in this thread would be blown away that you had 18(!) people on a rack on your SMB. Again, nuts, but super awesome.
I don't have a high roof. It's a Weartherguard Safari model. The feet that anchor to the gutter look the same as the bars linked above. My rack does not have a platform. Only a diamond-plate cat-walk. If I need a platform, I either throw up plywood or usually just use folding tables with the legs folded.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:15 PM   #24

Note: The rack had diamond plate side-panels added by the original owner of the rack (he switched to Yakima bars to better hold his boats).
Attached Thumbnails
465162_384060371646294_571333263_o.jpg   10505044_10101241848417808_4751344348623081962_o.jpg   SkyFest van small.jpeg  
Old 10-14-2015, 12:10 AM   #25

Carringb, awesome. Any photos like really of the rack itself though? Maybe one from up top? From the photos it's so hard to see what the rack is like, other than that yes-- damn -- it can hold a lot of people!
seanahrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #26

I don't have a good pic of just the rack. The website shows a good top view though. http://www.weatherguard.com/en/view/...s/Safari/210-3

But to use this rack on a high roof van you would need to add gutters, like the ones Yakima sells. The add on gutter can be strong if mounted with some good backers behind the fiberglass, or if you can bolt through a wood stringer.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #27

Has anyone ordered the new ujoint rack?
Old 10-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Isn't the last picture on the original post, a pic of Brent's SMB?
That's Blackeye's Rocking 'R' van. (He's since moved onto a GXV. Not sure if the new owner is on the forum.)

Cheers,
Brent (not the 'Brent' referred to)
Old 07-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #29
GAR

Is the Ujoint rack 100% made in the USA?
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote