Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #11

Re: Rust Treatment - Under body - Wheel wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
Clean/spray the underside, apply RustOleum hammered finish.
Re-apply as needed. It's cheap and simple.

thats pretty much what i did
holding up well 6 months into the treatment

i only had light surface rust
no metal "cancer"

Deaver and Full Tilt both commented that the underside was in great shape

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #12

Re: Rust Treatment - Under body - Wheel wells and Other things

Looked thru the string for RUST, but didn't see any mention of the Onan Generator frame rust. I purchased my 1998 Dodge last year in CA and drove it back to IL. It works great, but I thought I'd get under the van after reading some of the rust stories.

It looks like the frame that holds the Generator, could, if left unattended, rust out. Is this something that any of you have faced?

I'm wondering if it makes sense to lower the Generator and repair/replace the frame? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
mobilemaster3416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
For light surface rust, a good pressure washing and some rattle can rust inhibitor paint would probably suffice. Just re-shoot every year since road debris will wear some of it off. Cost ~$20
That is exactly what I did and posted about it here.... scroll down about 3/4 of the page and you will see before and after pics and paint I used. I got the paint at the local auto parts store and it was what they recommended for this exact project and said many people use this. Looks great now and it was all just surface rust no deep rust anywhere. The undercarriage of the van body was in perfect shape so I didn't paint that at all.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...3583&start=510

Also someone mentioned a generator bracket rusting. Funny I have a Thule bike mount on the back of my SMB attached to the Aluminess bumper. It was starting to rust all around and it was only the Thule parts not the aluminess parts rusting. I took the Thule parts off and lightly sanded it all and re-painted it with low gloss black spray can paint. It now looks almost exactly like the aluminess bumpers again and problem solved.

Here are before and after pics of the Thule attachment on my aluminess bumper.

Before rust appearing only on Thule attachment...

After taking of Thule attachment and repainting. Looks brand new now and matches aluminess bumper perfectly.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:42 AM   #14

When the time comes to replace your house battery, you have access to the area of the body above the battery and frame. Spray both with underbody rustproofer when you have all that area open to you. don't forget the anti-sieze on the battery tray bolts.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #15

Roonie ,
What you are experiencing on your Thule Rack is most likely Galvanic Corrosion from the two dissimilar metal's Steel and Aluminum , you can eliminate this by using Nylon Flat washer's between your Bike Rack and Aluminess mounting location and using Stainless Steel fasteners . Even though you have arrested the exterior Rust on your Rack it can and eventually will begin to Rust on the interior surface of the Rack tubing .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote