Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #11

So, on both the rear and the side "barn doors", the left door is the "fixed door" and cannot be opened until the right door has been opened (because the latch is "hidden" in the door jam between the doors). If you mount the bolt mechanism of the Auto-Bolt in the left "fixed" door and the receiver plate in the right door, then neither door can be opened until the Auto-Bolt mechanism has been deactivated,.. which is why you only need four Auto-Bolts to protect all six doors of the van.
There are several ways that you can hook up the electrical control for the Auto-Bolts, so it is best to talk with Greg regarding the desired outcome on your vehicle. The most convenient hookup is to use the electric door lock control wires that are already located in each door, however on some vehicles this may allow the thief to defeat the Auto-Bolt by pushing the master door unlock button after breaking the window. I wanted higher security and I also have a "boat-type" master battery cut-off switch to prevent all battery drain when I park the van for an extended period of time, so I ran a separate "always on" electric circuit wire to each Auto-Bolt and installed an external hidden DPDT - "return to center off" waterproof switch to control the Auto-Bolts. You could also control them with a separate transmitter "fob" or perhaps program your existing alarm transmitter "fob", or use a keyed electrical switch, but I didn't want the risk and hassle of an additional fob or key to have to keep track of while I'm hiking or boating or biking.

'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
AKSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:33 PM   #12

Good info AKseeker. Thanks!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:24 AM   #13

Garage
Yes, good info. Thanks.

You installed them yourself, right? How difficult an installation would you say it is?
Old 03-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #14

This is super helpful. Thanks

Edit--My apologies. I responded via iphone and it autocorrected. Didn't have glasses and the screen is so darn small I missed it. I meant to say it was super helpful. It truly did clarify the install. So sorry about that.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
This isn’t super helpful. Thanks

?? , I’m not sure what you want, sorry.
'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Yes, good info. Thanks.

You installed them yourself, right? How difficult an installation would you say it is?
Yes, I did my own installation,.. not hard, but it does involve cutting a hole in each door jam area with a 1” hole saw,.. just open up the internal door cover panel first to make sure there is an unobstructed space for the unit (about 3”). The hardest part in my installation was running the new set of wires to each door unit and my hidden control switch, but you don’t have to do that if you use the existing electric door lock circuit wires.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #17

Sorry about that response. I meant "is" but the iphone auto corrected. Appreciate the details about the install.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Sorry about that response. I meant "is" but the iphone auto corrected. Appreciate the details about the install.
No problem Smoker, lol, my iPhone does that to me all of the time also,.. that’s why I got the big iPhone 6+ so I could see the screen!
Old 06-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #19

Any recent auto bolt reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSeeker View Post
I installed the Auto-Bolt (4 units) on my 2006 E350 Sportsmobile and I think that they are the most secure and "cleanest" solution to preventing the theft of the van. They are not going to stop the would-be thief from breaking a window and climbing in, or from damaging the door locks, etc. while trying to get the door open,.. but, anything they want to steal will have to be handed out of the broken window, and they are going to be real confused when they can't get any door to open even when they have pulled up the door lock. Chances are they probably won't even crawl in through the broken window, since they won't be able to figure out how to open the door. The inventor, Greg, at Home - The Auto Bolt (586-231-8620) is a great guy to do business with and will take the time to help you "customize" the installation for your particular application. If you want more details of what I did, PM me.
Has anyone else had experience installing and using Autobolt deadbolt system? I am thinking of putting some on my Sprinter van.
Merton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #20

Yes, we had the autobolt installed in 2019 (purchased in 2018). We are happy with it. Note: others have had trouble getting a hold of the seller over the last year...
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bolt, door, lock, security, theft